1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Statistics Problem

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    The question reads exactly as follows,

Find the appropriate values for #'s.

a) P(Z<#)=.9
    b) P(|Z|<#)=.9

We are currently going over distributions, poissons, density functions and binomial stuff, someone referenced to Z-values from a ztable but i dont know if this is what the topic at hand is. Does anyone know what they are asking?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume Z is some random variable. What is its probability distribution?

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks to me like they are asking "for what value of "#" is the probability that z is less than # equal to .9?" and "for what value of "#" is the probability that |z| is less than # equal to .9?" The answer, of course, will depend on the probability distribution. Since you refer to "z values" and a "z table" I suspect you are talking about a "normal distribution". Here is a table for the normal distribution:
    http://people.hofstra.edu/Stefan_Waner/realworld/normaltable.html [Broken]

Notice that this gives the probabilty that z is between 0 and the given number. To find the probabilty that z is less than a number, look up the value and add 0.5. To find the probability that |z| is than than the number, look up the value and multiply by 2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook