Calculating Number of Students in Second Class: Average Score Statistics

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation is about two classes that took a test, with one class having 30 students and an average score of 80, and the other class having an average score of 70. The average of both classes was 74, and the question asks for the number of students in the other class. The solution is 45 students, as the total number of students in the combined classes is 60.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two classes made a test.
In one class there were 30 students, and the average score was 80.
In the second class, the average score was 70.
The average of both classes was 74.
How many students were tested in the other class?

Homework Equations

The solution is 45 students

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached. I'm getting a minus, clearly I'm off :/

Can anyone clue me in?

Attachments

• hef.jpg
    hef.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
You are dividing by 2, where instead it should be the total number of students in the combined classes i.e. 30+x

Ah... I see the errors of my ways. Earlier I did 30x and got 1.11, I forgot that's not the total number of students..my bad. Thank you much.

What is the difference between mean, median, and mode?

Mean is the average value in a set of data, calculated by adding all the values and dividing by the number of values. Median is the middle value in a set of data when arranged in ascending or descending order. Mode is the most frequently occurring value in a set of data.

How do I calculate standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of the spread of data from the mean. It is calculated by finding the difference between each data point and the mean, squaring these differences, adding them together, dividing by the number of data points, and then taking the square root of the result.

What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable may be associated with a change in the other. However, this does not necessarily mean that one variable causes the other. Causation involves a direct cause and effect relationship between two variables.

What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution, also known as a bell curve, is a type of probability distribution where the data is symmetrically distributed around the mean. This means that most data falls near the mean, with fewer data points on the extremes.

When should I use a t-test versus an ANOVA?

A t-test is used to compare the means of two groups, while ANOVA (Analysis of Variance) is used to compare the means of three or more groups. If you have two groups and want to compare their means, a t-test would be appropriate. If you have more than two groups, an ANOVA would be more suitable.