1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple structure function - interpreting answer [Probability & Reliability Theory]

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't a homework question. I'm working through my book's exercises and am having difficulty interpreting an answer. Any guidance will be very much appreciated.

The problem is to come up with a structure function for a graph (image attached with this post). The answer is [itex]\phi(x) = x_1 max (x_2, x_3, x_4) x_5[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    Two types of unbroken circuit are possible:

i) There is a connection from [itex]x_1[/itex] to [itex]x_4[/itex] (e.g. [itex]x_1 → x_2 → x_4[/itex] OR [itex]x_1 → x_3 → x_2 → x_4[/itex])
    ii) The triangle [itex]x_1,x_2, x_3[/itex] is connected even if [itex]x_4[/itex] is broken. Hence, current can loop from [itex]x_1 → x_2 → x_3[/itex] or from [itex]x_1 → x_3 → x2.[/itex]

In the diagram, I can see four nodes [itex]x_1,x_2, x_3, x_4[/itex]. Where does [itex]x_5[/itex] come from?

The following part of the answer also confuses me:
    [itex]max (x_2, x_3, x_4)[/itex]

Why is this the case? I can't see how the circuit would function if [itex]x_2[/itex] and [itex]x_3[/itex] were both broken. Current simply could not flow from [itex]x_1[/itex] to [itex]x_4[/itex] unless component 2 or 3 were also working.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?