1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple/stupid question

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Figure 8-29 shows a thin rod, of length L and negligible mass,that can pivot about one end to rotate in a vertical circle. A heavyball of mass m is attached to the other end. The rod is pulled asidethrough an angle 6 and released.As the ball descends to its lowestpoint, (a) how much work doesthe gravitational force do on itand (b) what is the change in thegravitational potential energy ofthe ball-Earth system? (c) If thegravitational potential energy istaken to be zero at the lowestpoint, what is its value just as theball is released? (d) Do the mag-nitudes of the answers to (a)through (c) increase, decrease, orremain the same if angle 6 is in-creased?

2. Relevant equations
    http://www.niu.edu/~debrown/Spring2009/Q4_5.09.pdf [Broken] if you click this link, scroll down to problem two for the image.

3. The attempt at a solution

i know how to do the problem, the only thing i cannot figure out is how to find the height. I googled the problem and someone said that the change in y should be L-Lcos(theta)....and when i used that it worked, but i don't know why. It's problably some simple geometry thing but I need to know what L-Lcos(theta) means in case i get a problem similar to this on an exam.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Draw an right angled triangle containing point of suspension, mass and the vertical line. If l is the length of the rod, its projection on the vertical line is L*cosθ. The remaining length on the vertical position of the rod is L - L*cosθ. That is the height through the mass m rises.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook