1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple substitution integral

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the following integral

∫1/(x*sqrt(x^2-1) dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've decided to use the substitution:

x = sec u
    dx = sec u * tan u du

Substituting on the integral I got:

∫sec(u)*tan(u) / [sec u * sqrt((sec^2(u)-1))] du

Since 1+tan^2(u) = sec^2(u) the integral simplifies to
    ∫ sec(u)*tan(u) / [sec(u)*tan(u)] du = ∫ du = u + c = sec(u) + c, c being an arbitrary constant.

The answer on the solutions is given by the substitution

u = sqrt(x^2-1)

Is my answer wrong? Because it seems way simplier this way, and I don't see nothing wrong with the substitution...

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the integral comes out to u+c, and you want to express it in terms of x, u=arcsec(x). u isn't equal to sec(u). And the answer on the solutions doesn't work. Test it by taking the derivative. arcsec(x)+c does work.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    I'm sorry but I'm a little confused. The result is obviously incorrect, but I don't think i did any wrong assumption as I was solving the integral. All the mathematical steps appear to be correct, including the substitution. How can it be wrong then?

I solved it with the substitution from the solutions and I got to the result arctan(sqrt(x^2-1)), which is different from arcsin but is correct (I confirmed it with Matlab).

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your work was fine up until you undid your substituion. If x = sec(u), then u = sec-1(x) or arcsec(x).

When you undid your substitution, you replaced u with sec(u), which is incorrect. That's what Dick was saying.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your solution is not wrong. You got u+c. Since x=sec(u), u=arcsec(x). That is also correct. I read your post wrong. I thought you said the solution given was sqrt(x^2-1), but you didn't say that, you just said the subsitution was u=sqrt(x^2-1). Sorry!

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6
    Ooh, I see it now... Thank you for your answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook