1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Tanh(x) approximation

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Hello! So I was reading a paper in which I came across the following:

[itex]
    k = \pi + \pi\ell
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \tanh{(k)} \approx \pi\ell
    [/itex]

where "l" is very small. What on earth is the origin of this approximation? I'm sure it's very simple, but I can't seem to derive it from the angle-sum and small angle approximations for sinh and cosh.

Thanks very much for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2
    I don't know for sure, but I'd try the power series for [itex]\tanh[/itex]. And also [itex]\pi +\pi l \simeq \pi[/itex] or linear apporximation.

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Unless I'm missing something we have [tex]\lim_{\ell \to 0}\tanh(k)=\tanh(\pi)\neq 0[/tex] so how could this approximation possibly be true since [tex]\lim_{\ell \to 0}\pi \ell = 0[/tex]

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    Yeah, I was just thinking about that - I tried to do a linear approximation and it didn't work. When I first suggested this, I tried to quickly do it in my head, and got it a bit confused and made an error. I'm not sure if OP made a typo.

If he meant [itex]\tan[/itex] then I think it is right:

[tex]y = \sec^2(\pi)(x-\pi) + \tan(\pi) = x - \pi[/tex]

Now if we let [itex]x = \pi +l \pi[/itex] we have the correct linear approximation and [itex]\tan(k) \simeq l \pi[/itex].

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yeah for tan it works. They're both equivalent at [itex]\ell = 0[/itex] and their first derivatives match too.

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    OH! So I correctly quoted the paper, but the paper itself was incorrect. The author definitely meant tan()-- he switched between two equations. The previous equations had cosh(.) and sinh(.), so I didn't catch the error:

Check out 7b in this paper if you're curious where this is from:
    http://www.ctsystemes.com/zeland/publi/00982223.pdf [Broken]

thanks very much guys!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Jul 24, 2012 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

At least he plugged the approximation into the formula correctly :wink:
    An honest typo since the Author kept switching between tan and tanh.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook