Quadratic Approximation of Potential Function using Taylor Expansion Method

In summary, the conversation is about finding the quadratic approximation to the potential function U(x), with given values for U0 and a, and using Taylor series to calculate the derivatives at x=4. The final approximation is U=40+5*(x-4)^2/4.
Crazy Gnome

Homework Statement

What is the quadratic approximation to the potential function?

Homework Equations

U(x) = U0((a/x)+(x/a))
U0= 20
a=4

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just the last part of a question on my engineering homework, I never learned Taylor expansions before even though I have taken all the class prerequisites. So if you could just walk me through it that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series and try it out yourself. It's just a cookbook formula. You have to add various derivatives of U(x) at x=4 times powers of (x-4) up to quadratic. It's not that mysterious. We'll be glad to look at your efforts.

Dick said:
Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series and try it out yourself. It's just a cookbook formula. You have to add various derivatives of U(x) at x=4 times powers of (x-4) up to quadratic. It's not that mysterious. We'll be glad to look at your efforts.

So for my first try I got U=(1.25)x2-10x+60. I am pretty sure I remember something about only going out to the second order place to make it "quadratic" so I got.

40 for the first place, 0 zero for the first order, and 1.25x2-10x+20 for the second order.

Does this look right?

Yes, that's right. For most purposes you probably want to leave that in the form 40+5*(x-4)^2/4, since you are thinking of x's near 4.

1. What is a simple Taylor expansion?

A simple Taylor expansion is a method used in calculus to approximate a function using a polynomial. It is based on the Taylor series, which is an infinite sum of terms that can represent a function at a specific point.

2. How is a simple Taylor expansion calculated?

A simple Taylor expansion is calculated by finding the derivatives of a function at a specific point and then plugging them into the Taylor series formula. The formula is:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(x-a)^3/3! + ...

3. What is the purpose of a simple Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a simple Taylor expansion is to approximate a function at a specific point using a polynomial. This can be useful in situations where the function is complex, but its derivatives are easier to calculate.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a simple Taylor expansion?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms that represents a function at a specific point, while a simple Taylor expansion is a finite sum that approximates a function at a specific point. A Taylor series provides a more accurate representation, but a simple Taylor expansion is easier to calculate.

5. When is a simple Taylor expansion not a good approximation?

A simple Taylor expansion is not a good approximation when the function is not smooth or when it has a singularity at the point of expansion. In these cases, the Taylor series may not converge and the simple Taylor expansion will not provide an accurate approximation.