1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Taylor series

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Determine the first two non-vanishing terms in the Taylor series of [tex]\frac{1-\cos(x)}{x^2}[/tex] about x = 0 using the definition of the Taylor series (i.e. compute the derivatives of the function)."

So I know how compute the Taylor series about x=0; it involves finding f(0), f'(0), f''(0), etc. But In this particular case, it seems that f(0) and all the derivatives are undefined at x=0. This presents a problem.

I know that I can just replace cos(x) with it's Taylor series, which would make this easy, but the question specifically tells me not to..

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe the question would want you to use the Taylor expansion of cos(x). The question doesn't say not to anywhere.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #3
    I don't think so; it says to compute the derivatives of the function. Also, part b of the question asks me to use the Taylor expansion of cos(x) and compare it with the result from this part.

5. Sep 3, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ah that's an interesting approach then. Start taking a few derivatives and rather than considering what's happening precisely at ##x=0##, use limits to your advantage ( You'll notice a pattern by the 3rd and 5th derivatives ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted