1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Tension Problem

1. Mar 20, 2005 #1
    There are two wires connected to a ceiling with a light fixture hanging at their ends. The light fixture exerts a force of 80N, while the wires make a 40 degree angle with the ceiling. What is the tension in the two strings? The diagram roughly looks like this:

- 40 40 -
    - -
    - -

I assumed that this was a simple trigonometry problem and set about solving it like so:
    {a} I assumed that since the object was not moving downward, there had to be an 80N force exterted upward. Hence, I split the large triangle into two parts using a positive 80N force, making a 90 degree angle with the ceiling, and a 50 degree angle at the base of the larger triangle.
    {b} From there I used trigonometry:
    cos(50) = 80N/Hyp.
    Hyp. = 80N/cos(50)
    Hyp. = 124.5N

Yet, the software (Webassign.com) is telling me that the tension is not 124.5N. What am I doing wrong?

P.S.- I also tried assuming that there is not an 80N positive force exerted upward, and thereby tried isolating each X and Y vector for each string seperately. I still got the same answer of 124.5N.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2005 #2
  4. Mar 20, 2005 #3
    If they want the value for T in each string, you need to divide that value by 2. Resolve the forces perpendicular to the string and you get 2Tsin 40 = 80.
  5. Mar 20, 2005 #4
    I thank you kindly, dividing 124.5N by two did work, and I appreciate your explanation as well. :smile:
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?