Simple tension situation help needed

• Thread starter lmlgrey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a heavy block is being pulled on a rope attached to points A, B, O, and P. The velocities of points A and B are equal, and the acceleration of point O is greater than the acceleration of the block. The tension at point B is equal to the tension at point A, but this does not mean the tension is constant throughout the rope. The tension at each point is affected by the mass of the object attached to it.
lmlgrey
1. someone is pulling on a heavy straight rope with force F. Points A and B are one quarter of the distance from each end, and points O and P are the ends of rope. The rope is attached to a heavy block, which slides on a frictionless floor, and which therefore accelerates as it is pulled.
Select the appropriate choice for each of the following statements: True, False, Greater than, Less than, or Equal to For choices involving comparisons Greater than, Less than or Equal to, consider only the magnitudes of the quantities being compared.

1. The velocities of points A and B are equal. TF
2. Greater than Less than Equal to The acceleration of the point O is ... the acceleration of the block. TF
3. Greater than Less than Equal to The tension at the point B is ... the tension at the point A. TF

click to see the diagram: http://b.imagehost.org/0991/rope.gif

2. Is the tension equal everywhere on a heavy rope?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've figured out so far.

3. the tension at point b is EQUAL TO the tension at point a
because tension force is equal everywhere on a string/rope

2. The acceleration of the point O is GREATER THAN the acceleration of the block
bcause based on #3, when the same net force is given, the smaller the mass, the greater the acceleration... O is obviously lighter than the box, therefore, has a greater acceleration.

3. the velocities of A and B are equal

true, since the accelerations of A and B are the same

... above is what i figured out so far, but they are wrong judged by the website.

lmlgrey said:
3. the tension at point b is EQUAL TO the tension at point a
because tension force is equal everywhere on a string/rope
That would be true for a massless rope, but that's not what you have here.

2. The acceleration of the point O is GREATER THAN the acceleration of the block
bcause based on #3, when the same net force is given, the smaller the mass, the greater the acceleration... O is obviously lighter than the box, therefore, has a greater acceleration.

3. the velocities of A and B are equal

true, since the accelerations of A and B are the same
Aren't all the points... O, B, A, P... connected together?

I noticed that its a heavy rope... but I don't understand the difference it makes..
so the tension force is not constant throughout the rope?\

and yes, A,B,O,P are points on the rope therefore, connected.

lmlgrey said:
I noticed that its a heavy rope... but I don't understand the difference it makes..
so the tension force is not constant throughout the rope?\
The tension at each point is the force that the rope exerts at that point. Compare the force needed at point O, which pulls on everything to the right of point O, to the force needed at point A, which pulls on everything to the right of point A. Do those forces pull on the same amount of mass? Can they be the same force?
and yes, A,B,O,P are points on the rope therefore, connected.
Right, they are all connected. So how can one point have a different acceleration than another?

Okkk. I see!
I can interpret it as it is a massless rope, but there is each an object that attaches at A,B,O,P which weighs the same... ok, now I get it. The acceleration would be the same since the the whole system has only one acceleration but tension force is different since there are different masses.

thank you very much for the hints!

What is simple tension?

Simple tension is a force that acts on an object in a straight line, pulling the object away from its original position. It is also known as normal tension or tensile force.

How is simple tension calculated?

Simple tension can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied. It is represented by the formula T = Fd, where T is tension, F is force, and d is distance.

What are some examples of simple tension in real life?

Some examples of simple tension include pulling a rope, stretching a rubber band, and hanging objects from a string. Simple tension is also present in structures such as bridges and cranes.

What factors affect simple tension?

The amount of simple tension on an object depends on the magnitude of the applied force, the distance over which the force is applied, and the properties of the object such as its elasticity and strength.

How can simple tension be used to our advantage?

Simple tension can be used in various applications, such as lifting and moving heavy objects, keeping structures stable, and creating tension-based devices like springs and pulleys. It is also essential in maintaining the structural integrity of buildings and bridges.