Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Topology Question

1. Apr 18, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have a question that I'm not sure about.
    If f:A->C is continuous and B is a subset of C that is simply connected, is f(^-1)(B) necessarily connected or simply connected for that matter? Since the spaces are not necessarily homeomorphic I cannot consider it a topological invariant.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Consider the old canonical mapping from [0,2pi) to the circle S^1 in the complex plane (f(t)=e^it). Then for r small enough, f^-1(B(1,r)) is clearly not connected (and hence not simply connected either) since it consist of a little neighborhoods of 0 and a little neighborhoods of 2pi.

4. Apr 18, 2008 #3
    Actually, we can be even simpler than that: let f:R->R be given by f(x)=x^2, and let B={1}. Then f^-1(B)={1,-1}.

5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the help! The last one is a very simple counterexample.

6. Apr 20, 2008 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe for a more extreme counterexample re connectedness, consider the case of

IR as a covering space of S^1 . Maybe if you had 1-1 -ness. (tho not in this case,

since continuous bijection bet. compact and hausdorff is a homeo., which is sufficient,

tho I don't know if it is necessary).

For a trivial counterexample re simple-connectedness, consider a constant map

defined on an annulus.

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

trivial counterexamples do exist for zero dimensional B, but try higher dimensional B's.

and try it for algebraic maps.

i.e. if you map an algebraic variety X to an algebraic variety Y, what does the inverse image of an irreducible curve in Y look like?

more specifically, project a surface onto P^2, and ask what the inverse image of a general line looks like?

see the fulton - hansen connectedness theorem, and various versions of bertini's thoerem.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

here is a nice theorem of fulton and collaborators:

if L is a linear subspace of a projective space P, having codimension d,

and if X-->P is any morphism from a projective variety X,

having image in P of dimension larger than d,

then the inverse image in X of L is connected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?