Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Torque inertia question

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    Hi I am designing a 3 axis robot but need help with one calculation.

How do you calculate the torque required to rotate a supported vertical load.

For instance the torque required to rotate a dead weight sitting on top of a thrust bearing. I am looking for some formula from mechanical design books but haven't found anything.

Sorry about asking such a basic question.

Regards,
    Tim

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF, Tim. The equation you are looking for is:

[tex]\tau = I \alpha[/tex]

Where tau is the torque, alpha is the angular acceration in radians/s^2, and I is the Moment of Inertia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

4. Mar 15, 2009 #3
    Thanks Berkeman,

If I'm using a Stepper motor that has an input pulse of 100Hz (90 degrees a second in this setup) is my initial acceleration 1.57 rad per second^2?

5. Mar 15, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If the motor swings 90 degrees in a second, that is an angular velocity omega:

[tex]\omega = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] radians per second.

The acceleration would be during the time it takes to go from omega = 0 to omega = PI/2 rad/s. The angular acceleration is the change in the angular velocity with respect to time.

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Don't forget to include the frictional force from the thrust bearing.

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Tribology/Plain_Bearing Friction.html

CS

7. Mar 29, 2009 #6
    Umm, don't forget to in include the weight either T = F.R . Which would be the "torque required to rotate a supported vertical load" as described in the first thread. Where F is the weight of the item and R is the horizontal radius of the load from the pivot position (without acceleration).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook