1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Torque problem. Help please!

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    A uniform ladder of a length 5m and a mass 15 kg leans against a wall, making a 45 degree angle with the ground. The wall is capable of supporting a maximum of 500 N.

A fireman must climb the ladder to it's midpoint, what is the max mass that the fireman can be without collapsing the wall.

Ok...So I know that for a uniform problem we know that this means that the Center of Mass will be halfway along the lengh of the board.

Again since this is a center of mass problem the sum of the torques must equal zero.

Et=0

I assumed that I would need to take the (max force)(cos 45) + (Weight of ladder)(distance of ladder) then divide that by the (total distance of the ladder)

The answer should be 86.95kg

But I got..

(500N)cos45 + (15kg)(5m)

= 353.33N + 75 kg.m
    = 428.33 N.kg.m / 5.0m = 85.66 = 86 kg

I am doing something wrong. I am not able to cancel out some of my units. Its seems like a simple mistake but any advice would help!!

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    Force X Perpendicular distance = Torque.
    Net torque = 0
    500 X 5 cos45 = (15+m) g X 2.5 cos 45
    m = (1000/9.8) - 15 = 87 Kg

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Rha1828! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I don't understand this at all :confused:

you should be taking moments (torques) about the base of the ladder …

that's ∑(force x perpendicular distance)

try again :smile:

sArGe99, on this forum, please don't try to give complete answers​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook