Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple torque question

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fishing pole is 2.00m long and inclined to the horizontal at an angle of 20.0degrees. What is the torque exerted by the fish about an axis perpendicular to the page and passing through the hand of the person holding the pole?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have the FBD. I know how the picture looks like, but what i'm not clear about is the torque. It says the axis perpendicular to the page and passing through the hand...is that the y component of the force exerted by the fish?

if it's not clear to you all, i'll attach the picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

Delta2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the force F that the fish exerts to the pole is given then the torque is 2Fcos(20)

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    The axis perpendicular to the page and passing through the hand just means that the fishing pole pivots about the fisherman's hand. You do know that the torque is a pseudovector right? The torque vector points out of the page towards you from the fisherman's hand. Using the right-hand rule, we know that the torque is anti-clockwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook