Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple touch switch needed

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I am looking for a very simple touch switch/sensor that I will be using to activate a small servo. The sensor will be connected to a microcontroller to accomplish some very basic processing of any input received. I've been told that a capacitance switch would do the job, but I've been unable to locate one that I could easily incorporate into my project. If a capacitance switch is not an easy solution, please suggest an easier alternative.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I like to use individual switches of the PC keyboard style. They are nice for test fixtures, etc., because they have a nice feel to them, and have very long life compared to regular pushbuttons. Like the Cherry MX Key Switch series....here are some links:

Datasheet -- http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/pdf/keyswitch_cat.pdf

Digikey catalog page (see bottom of page) -- http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T072/P1756.pdf

You can order one of hte styles that you like (tactile or not, mounting options, etc.), and also order the Keycap. I like the tactile click version myself.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I made a set of touch sensivite switches that uses a 5MHz oscilator using 3 nand gates of a 4011 chip and coupling ( with a ?pf cap by twisting about a 1/4 inch of 30 gauge wire together) it to the base on an NPN transistor. The base of the transistor also had a 100 Kohm resistor to ground and a small copper touch plate. When you touch the plate, the transistor becomes unsaturated. giving a high on the collector.

I worked very well. You can tune the sensivity by the number of twist on your ?pf cap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?