Understanding Reflection Matrices and Visualizing Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving simple reflections and transformations. It is explained that the matrix represents a reflection in y = x*tan(5pi/12) and that the angle is doubled because it is a reflection instead of a rotation. The difference between the minus sign in the left and right corners of the matrix is also discussed. The purpose of the matrix is to show the reflection with respect to any given axis.
Hevonen
[SOLVED] Simple Transformation

I have a simple reflection illustraded in matric form that should be presented in geometric form:

// cos(5pi/6) sin(5pi/6) //
// sin(5pi/6) -cos(5pi/6) //

(this should look like 2*2 matrix; see the file "transformation.jpg" if you want to see it prettier)

SOLUTION
"This matrix represents a reflection in y = x*tan(5pi/12)".

However, I do not understand why the angle is now 5pi/12 and not 5pi/6 as in the matrix. Moreover, what is the difference if the minus sign was in the front of the other cos( ) in the left hand corner and not in the right hand corner? How would the angle differ? Please, help me.

Attachments

• transformation.JPG
    transformation.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you're getting confused because it's a reflection instead of a rotation. With a rotation, the angle of the rotation is equal to the angle of the cos and sin in the transformation (though the matrix is somewhat different for a rotation). In a reflection the angle of the cos and sin is twice the angle of the reflection axis. You probably have to draw a picture of it and work it through to really explain it properly (which I'm too lazy to do right now).

uart said:
I think you're getting confused because it's a reflection instead of a rotation. With a rotation, the angle of the rotation is equal to the angle of the cos and sin in the transformation (though the matrix is somewhat different for a rotation). In a reflection the angle of the cos and sin is twice the angle of the reflection axis. You probably have to draw a picture of it and work it through to really explain it properly (which I'm too lazy to do right now).

I totally agree with you. The problem is that I do not know how to visualise the angle in reflection with different matrices. I only know that the angle is somehow halved in reflection when writing from matrix to geometric form.

The reflection matrix when reflecting over a line, making angle x with x-axis is:

// cos(2x) -sin(2x) //
// sin(2x) cos(2x) //

Thats why the "angle size" doubles

flebbyman said:
The reflection matrix when reflecting over a line, making angle x with x-axis is:

// cos(2x) -sin(2x) //
// sin(2x) cos(2x) //

Thats why the "angle size" doubles
I thought that rotation is of the form:

// cos(x) -sin(x) //
// sin(x) cos(x) //

and then reflection would be of the form:

// -sin(2x) cos(2x) //
// cos(2x) sin(2x) //

Have I understood something wrong? I think there is no "direction" in reflection as in rotation so is this form equivalent to yours:

// cos(2x) -sin(2x) //
// sin(2x) cos(2x) //

Last edited:
Hevonen said:
I totally agree with you. The problem is that I do not know how to visualise the angle in reflection with different matrices. I only know that the angle is somehow halved in reflection when writing from matrix to geometric form.

Think of it as first transforming to the line of reflection, then to the final figure. Since the beginning and ending figures are symmetric about the line of reflection, the angle between each and that line is half the angle between them.

HallsofIvy said:
Think of it as first transforming to the line of reflection, then to the final figure. Since the beginning and ending figures are symmetric about the line of reflection, the angle between each and that line is half the angle between them.

Thank you. I can now visualise the angle. But are these matrices equivalent?

// -sin(2x) cos(2x) //
// cos(2x) sin(2x) //

// cos(2x) -sin(2x) //
// sin(2x) cos(2x) //
(I have seen this presentation of reflection in some exercises)

The difference is that the other is multiplied by a M matrix:
M =
// 1 0 //
// 0 1 //

But I do not understand what this M transformation do to the reflection. Is it still the same reflection?

Take a triangle and put it in such a way that it's bottom is sitting on the x axis. What I mean by Reflection with respect to the x axis, is keep everything same except the y coordinate of each point is negated i.e. I have [itex] \vartriangle \to \triangledown[/itex]. Then, suppose the points are given as vectors where elements of the vectors are the (x,y) components. The only thing that I should do is multiply each point by the matrix,

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{c}
x_{new} \\
y_{new} \\
\end{array}} \right)=
\left[ {\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right]
\left( {\begin{array}{c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right)

[/tex]

If you consider the angle here, what do you think? What if I rotate pi radians around the origin? Then regarding your last question what if I rotate -pi radians ? After having all those, I think you can figure out what to do with reflection with respect to any given axis.

Last edited:
Hevonen said:
The difference is that the other is multiplied by a M matrix:
M =
// 1 0 //
// 0 1 //

I have to correct my writing. I meant:[tex]

\left [ {\begin{array}{cc}
-sin(2x) & cos(2x) \\
cos(2x) & sin(2x) \\
\end{array}} \right]
=
cos(2x) & -sin(2x) \\
sin(2x) & cos(2x) \\
\end{array}} \right]

0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]
EQUATION ENDS

What is the purpose of the matrix:
[tex]\left [ {\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]
Can it be shown geometrically?

Last edited:
trambolin said:
Take a triangle and put it in such a way that it's bottom is sitting on the x axis. What I mean by Reflection with respect to the x axis, is keep everything same except the y coordinate of each point is negated i.e. I have [itex] \vartriangle \to \triangledown[/itex]. Then, suppose the points are given as vectors where elements of the vectors are the (x,y) components. The only thing that I should do is multiply each point by the matrix,

[tex]
\left( {\begin{array}{c}
x_{new} \\
y_{new} \\
\end{array}} \right)=
\left[ {\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right]
\left( {\begin{array}{c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right)

[/tex]

If you consider the angle here, what do you think? What if I rotate pi radians around the origin? Then regarding your last question what if I rotate -pi radians ? After having all those, I think you can figure out what to do with reflection with respect to any given axis.

Rotating -pi radians only changes the direction of rotation. And I think that matrix [tex]\left [ {\begin{array}{cc}
-1 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex] would reflect the shape with respect to the y-axis.

I still do not know what is the function of the matrix [tex]M = \left
[ {\begin{array}{cc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex] in the reflection?

Last edited:
Well, now I am confused how to answer but let me try this... what if I write like this,

[whatever multiplies this matrix take the second component] = [2nd component]
[whatever multiplies this matrix take the first component ] [1st component ]

it was before

[1st] ==> [2nd]
[2nd] ==> [1st ]

I don't quite get what your problem is but can you reset your question and pose it again ?

trambolin said:
I don't quite get what your problem is but can you reset your question and pose it again ?

I will recheck my exercises. It may be that this thread already target my problem. Thanks!

One small question: is this matrix B used in reflection? It may be that "doubling the angle" is equivalent to use the matrix B :)

[tex]

B=
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array}} \right]

[/tex]

Last edited:
Please, read the question in the file. NO NEED TO READ THEN MY LAST MESSAGES.

My question is in the file where there is the exercise and the solution that has confused me.

Attachments

• Question about simple transformation1.jpg
    Question about simple transformation1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 442
The same file in JPG.
Question about simple transformation2.jpg

So, consider the following page,

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DerivationOf2DReflectionMatrix.html

I think that is what you are asking...

Last edited by a moderator:
trambolin said:
So, consider the following page,

http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/DerivationOf2DReflectionMatrix.html

I think that is what you are asking...

Thanks! Btw, is there available any program that could visualise transformations? I have Maple but I do not know whether it can do transformations. I think geometric presentation is much more efficient way of learning these :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is simple transformation?

Simple transformation is a process in which data is manipulated or modified in order to fit a specific format or structure. This can involve changing the values, types, or structure of the data.

Why is simple transformation important in science?

Simple transformation is important in science because it allows researchers to analyze and interpret data in a more efficient and accurate manner. By transforming data into a desired format, scientists can better understand relationships and patterns within the data.

What are some common methods used for simple transformation?

Some common methods for simple transformation include changing data types, applying mathematical operations, and organizing data into different structures such as tables or graphs.

Can simple transformation be applied to any type of data?

Yes, simple transformation can be applied to any type of data, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. The methods used for transformation may vary depending on the type of data being manipulated.

How can errors be avoided during simple transformation?

Errors during simple transformation can be avoided by carefully selecting and applying appropriate methods, double-checking the transformed data, and properly documenting the process. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the original data and the desired outcome before beginning the transformation process.