How Do You Calculate Vce in a Simple Transistor Circuit?

• Thread starter verd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the conversation is about understanding how to analyze a transistor in a simple circuit and specifically finding the collector to emitter voltage, Vce. The person is confused about their own solution and how their professor derived his equation. The equation used is Ic=Beta*Ib and Vce=Vc+Ve=3.3+0.7=4v. It is explained that since the emitter is grounded, Ve is the same as Vce and the correct calculation for Vc is 6V.
verd
Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how exactly to analyze a transistor in a simple circuit... Specifically when finding the collector to emitter voltage, Vce.

I've got to be looking at this incorrectly. Below is the question and the solution. My professor worked out the part that I circled as "their" solution, and I circled what I did.

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

The only equation I needed for this was:
Ic=Beta*Ib

http://synthdriven.com/images/deletable/EEN305%20-%2001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind. I'm a complete retard. I Vce should be:

Vce=Vc+Ve=3.3+0.7=4v.

But I am still a bit confused about how my professor derived his equation. That looks like a good equation for Vc, not Vce... Atleast to me.

Could someone explain this to me?

Since the emitter is grounded, Ve is the same as Vce.

Oops, typo, I meant Vc same as Vce.

your professor calculated Vc for 6 Volts right? now walk backwards through the source to the emitter to get VCE.

So +6V - 10V = -4V, so VCE has to be 4V.

Or walk the other way from emitter to collector through the source. +10V-6V=4 Volts.

VBE which is 0.7 volts plays no role here. in your calculation you say Vc is 3.3V which is NOT correct! it is 6V because RC(2kohm) *Ic(3mA) = 6V!

hope that helps.

What is a simple transistor problem?

A simple transistor problem is a question or scenario that involves the use of a transistor in a basic electronic circuit. It can range from calculating the voltage or current in a specific part of the circuit to determining the functionality of the transistor itself.

How do transistors work?

Transistors are semiconductor devices that act as switches or amplifiers in electronic circuits. They consist of three layers of material - N-type, P-type, and N-type - and can control the flow of electrons between these layers by using a small amount of current.

What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs use both electrons and holes to conduct current, while FETs use only one type of charge carrier. Within these categories, there are various subtypes such as NPN and PNP BJTs and MOSFET and JFET FETs.

What is the purpose of a transistor in a circuit?

The purpose of a transistor in a circuit is to control the flow of current and amplify signals. It can act as a switch, turning current on or off, or as an amplifier, increasing the strength of a signal. Transistors are crucial components in electronic devices, allowing for the creation of complex circuits.

How do I solve a simple transistor problem?

To solve a simple transistor problem, you will need to understand the basic principles of transistors and how they function in a circuit. You will also need to use Ohm's law and other relevant equations to calculate voltage, current, and resistance in the circuit. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and identify the type and function of each transistor to accurately solve the problem.