Solving Simple Transposition Problem for Charge Separation in Air

• Thread starter MattNotrick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to transpose a given value in an equation but getting the wrong answer. They ask for help in verifying their steps and calculations. The conversation includes the given values and the attempt at solving for R. It is suggested that the error may be in inputting the values into the calculator incorrectly.
MattNotrick

Homework Statement

I am trying to tranpose a given value but it seems I am getting the wrong answer what ever route I am taking, please can someone correct me.

The question is Two point charges A and B have values of 5x10^-6C and 7x10^-6C. Calculate the separation (R) when the force between them is 3.2N of air.

I am given all these values so I end up with the equation below.

Homework Equations

F=Force
Q1=Charge
Q2=Charge
Eo=Air
Er=Permitivty of Free Space
R^2= Seperation
π= pi

The Attempt at a Solution

F=Q1Q2/4πEoErR^2

I am trying to transpose for R^2

F4πEoErR^2 = Q1Q2/F4πEoEr

R^2 = Q1Q2/F4πEoEr

R = √[Q1Q2/F4πEoEr]

(Inputting the Values_

R = √[(5x10^-6)(7x10^-6) / 3.2 * 4π * 8.85x10^-12 * 1]

R = 3.4876x10^-11

I think I messed up my transposition somewhere because the rest of the answers I've been doing have been like 0.5m - 3m seperation, but I maybe be wrong. I've been doing 8 hours a day revision all week so my heads all over the place.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like some kind of calculator error: if you notice, 10^-6*10^-6/10^-12 will cancel so you're clearly off by orders of magnitude.

Hey, thanks for the fast reply but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you verify if all the steps of the transposition are correct, or if they are what error I have made?

Thanks again

MattNotrick said:
Hey, thanks for the fast reply but I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you verify if all the steps of the transposition are correct, or if they are what error I have made?

Thanks again

Solving for R looks fine:

F=kqq/r^2
r^2*F=kqq
r=sqrt(kqq/F) ; k=1/(4*pi*E_o*E_r)

I'm saying you may have put the values in your calculator incorrectly.

I would hazard a guess that you went wrong here:

R = √[(5x10^-6)(7x10^-6) / 3.2 * 4π * 8.85x10^-12 * 1]

Try sticking another pair of brackets in:

R = √[ {(5x10^-6)(7x10^-6)} / {3.2 * 4π * 8.85x10^-12 * 1} ]

Your equation is correct, and given the numbers I get a vastly different solution to you. When I don't use the extra pair of brackets, I get your answer!

What is a Simple Transposition Problem?

A Simple Transposition Problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves rearranging a given set of numbers or letters in a specific order to form a new sequence or pattern.

How do you solve a Simple Transposition Problem?

The first step in solving a Simple Transposition Problem is to identify the given set of numbers or letters and the desired outcome. Then, use a specific rule or pattern to rearrange the given set in the desired order.

What are some common rules used in solving Simple Transposition Problems?

Some common rules used in solving Simple Transposition Problems include reversing the order of the given set, alternating between ascending and descending order, or arranging the numbers or letters in a specific pattern such as zig-zag or spiral.

Why are Simple Transposition Problems important in science?

Simple Transposition Problems are important in science because they help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They are also commonly used in various scientific fields, such as cryptography, data analysis, and pattern recognition.

Can Simple Transposition Problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, Simple Transposition Problems can have multiple solutions depending on the given set and the desired outcome. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use the appropriate rules to arrive at the correct solution.