1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple trig limit with cos

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the limits that exist:

lim x->0 of [tex]\frac{1-cos4x}{9x^{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    lim x->0 [tex]\frac{1-cosax}{ax}[/tex] = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    so far I've got this
    [tex]\frac{4x}{9x^{2}}\frac{1-cos4x}{4x}[/tex]
    The second part has a limit of 0 but I don't know what to do about the first fraction. To me it looks undefined but according to some java applet I found on the internet the limit should be 8/9. What's the right answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The limit has the form 0/0. That suggests you use L'Hopital's rule. Alternatively, if you know the power series expansion of cos(x)=1-x^2/2!+x^4/3!-..., you could substitute x->4x and use that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  4. Sep 30, 2007 #3
    Thank you. So far we are in Ch 2. so we haven't done L'Hopital's rule or power series. I guess saying it is undefined is enough for now.

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The trouble with that is that is IS defined. If you can't use those, then you have to use tricks. Try a double angle formula like cos(2x)=1-2*sin(x)^2. Use that to express cos(4x). Then use lim x->0 sin(ax)/(ax)=1. I'm guessing you do know that from the relevant equation you posted.

6. Sep 30, 2007 #5
    oops, I got confused a bit...
    Anyways, I used your suggestion and solved it.
    Thanks again.

7. Sep 30, 2007 #6

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

Very sneaky little problem: the limit law it looks the most obvious to use is the wrong one!. Keep these kinds of manipulations in mind on exam problems...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?