Solve Simple Trig Problem: A-D = 10 Miles

• Thread starter Mbaboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving Diane's trip from her house to her job. The problem asks how much shorter the trip would be if she could travel directly from A to D instead of going through B and C. The answer is 10 miles. The conversation also includes a diagram and questions asking for the vertical and horizontal distances between A and D. The answer to the third question is 10 miles.
Mbaboy
I'm in high level math, but this little easy problem I came across I can't get!
Here it is (don't laugh):

The below shows the route of Diane's trip from her house to her job. Diane travels 16 miles from A to B, 15 miles from B to C, and 4 miles from C to D. If she were able to travel from A to D directly, how much shorter, in miles, would the trip be?
The figure is something like this (Ignore the dots I couldn't get it to work outherwise):
........C-------D
........|
........|
........|15
........|
........|
....A----------------B

A quick explanation should do. I'm just having a mental block and its frusterating. The answer is 10 by the way.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you have mixed up A and B in your diagram.

However, try to answer the following questions:
1. What is the VERTICAL distance from the level of A to to the level of D?
2. What is the HORIZONTAL distance from the level of A to the level of D?
3,. What must therefore the distince between A and D be?

lol. I knew it was simple.
Thanks a bunch.

What is a simple trig problem?

A simple trig problem involves using basic trigonometry principles, such as the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, to solve for missing sides or angles in a triangle.

What is the given problem "A-D = 10 miles" asking us to solve?

The given problem is asking us to find the distance between points A and D, which is given as 10 miles.

How do we use trigonometry to solve this problem?

We can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side, which is the distance between points A and D.

What information do we need to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, we need to know the lengths of at least two sides of the triangle formed by points A and D. This can be obtained through measurement or given in the problem.

Can we solve this problem without using trigonometry?

Yes, we can solve this problem using the distance formula, which states that the distance between two points in a coordinate plane is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the x and y coordinates. However, using trigonometry may be a more efficient method in some cases.