Solving Trig Problem: Tan^2(x) - Sec^2(x)

• Thread starter migia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the original problem is to simplify tan^2(x)-sec^2(x), which can be simplified to (sin^2(x)-1)/(cos^2(x)). The solution is -1, which can be obtained by using the identity tan^2(x)+1=sec^2(x) or by factoring -1 from the numerator. There are multiple ways to approach this problem using Pythagorean identities.
migia

Homework Statement

The original problem wants me to simplify tan^2(x)-sec^2(x). I have simplified it down to
(sin^2(x)-1)/(cos^2(x)). The answer says its solution is -1. My problem is I cannot understand how to get -1 out of (sin^2(x)-1)/(cos^2(x)). Thank you in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried manipulating the Pythagorean identities, I am still confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you know a relationship between sin^2, cos^2 and 1?

yes, it should be sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1

try factoring a negative one from the numerator

oh i just figured it out.
the identity tan^2(x)+1=sec^2(x) all I had to do was move 1 to right and sec^2(x) to the left!
Thank you guys for the help too.

There are several ways to do this one actually you could have substituted sec^2x-1 for tan^2x, or you could have taken (sin^2(x)-1)/(cos^2(x)) and factored -1 from the numerator giving you -1(1-sin^2x)/cos^2x =>-1(cos^2x/cos^2x)=-1/1=-1. So just remember that there are always a ton of different ways to approach these identity problems.

Ok, thank you for your help. I do really appreciate it.

If you have (sin^2 - 1)/cos^2, then you can rewrite and expand as (sin^2 - (sin^2 + cos^2))/cos^2 = (sin^2 - sin^2 - cos^2)/cos^2 = -cos^2 / cos^2 = -1, so long as cos^2(x) is not equal to zero.

1. What is the given problem asking me to solve?

The problem is asking you to solve for the value(s) of x that satisfy the equation Tan^2(x) - Sec^2(x) = 0.

2. How do I approach solving this problem?

You can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and isolate the variable x. Then, you can use the unit circle or a calculator to find the solutions.

3. Can this problem have more than one solution?

Yes, this problem can have multiple solutions. Since trigonometric functions are periodic, there may be infinite solutions depending on the given range of x.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid while solving this problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to distribute the negative sign when simplifying the equation. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, as the equation may have values of x that make the original equation undefined.

5. How can I check my solution(s) to ensure they are correct?

You can plug your solution(s) back into the original equation to verify that they make the equation true. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the equation and see where it intersects the x-axis.