What's the Antiderivative of $\tan(x)/x$?

In summary: What would this look like?In summary, the antiderivative of this integral was not easy to evaluate and may require the use of a function that has been defined in terms of the integral.
eddybob123
Hi, I am just wondering what the antiderivative of this integral was. It looks easy to me, but I no matter what I did just could not evaluate it. Can someone help me?:
$$\int \frac{\tan(x)}{x}\;dx$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried integration by parts? It can be a bit tedious but it isn't to bad.

Actually, that integral isn't so simple. It cannot be stated as a finite combination of elementary functions.

Last edited:
In fact, that is true for all trig functions over x.

How about using the Fourier series for tan?

It depends on the application. If this is part of a larger problem it may be more convenient to define a new function in terms of the integral rather than write an infinite series repeatedly.
[tex]f'(x)=\frac{\tan{x}}{x}[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=\int_{0}^{x}\frac{\tan{t}}{t}dt[/tex]
One problem that may occur with infinite series is the radius of convergence. While tan(x)/x may have a value at certain values of x, the infinite series may not converge.

Last edited:
eddybob123 said:
Hi, I am just wondering what the antiderivative of this integral was. It looks easy to me, but I no matter what I did just could not evaluate it. Can someone help me?:
$$\int \frac{\tan(x)}{x}\;dx$$

Use integration by parts twice.

babysnatcher said:
Use integration by parts twice.

Please demonstrate.

Bleh, let dv = 1/x u = tanx for the first integration by parts.

Then with the second integral you get let dv = 1/x and dv = sec^2(x)dx. You'll notice that after you do integration by parts twice, that you'll have the same integral on both sides, so combine like terms and come out with ln(x)tan(x)

MarneMath said:
Bleh, let dv = 1/x u = tanx for the first integration by parts.

Then with the second integral you get let dv = 1/x and dv = sec^2(x)dx. You'll notice that after you do integration by parts twice, that you'll have the same integral on both sides, so combine like terms and come out with ln(x)tan(x)

You are mistaken.
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\log{x}\tan{x})=\log{x}\sec^{2}{x}+\frac{\tan{x}}{x}[/tex]

Here is where you went wrong.
[tex]\int\frac{\tan{x}}{x}dx=\log{|x|}\tan{x}-\int\log{|x|}\sec^{2}{x}dx[/tex]

Last edited:
eddybob123 said:
How about using the Fourier series for tan?

What would this look like?

DeeAytch said:
What would this look like?

Here is a derivation someone has already done. It is a .pdf.

http://web.mit.edu/jorloff/www/18.03-esg/notes/fourier-tan.pdf

It converges poorly, however.

1. What is a simple trigonometric integral?

A simple trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. It is a type of integration problem that can be solved using basic trigonometric identities and techniques.

2. How do you solve a simple trigonometric integral?

To solve a simple trigonometric integral, you can use trigonometric identities and techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to have a good understanding of basic trigonometric functions and their properties in order to successfully solve these types of integrals.

3. What are some common examples of simple trigonometric integrals?

Some common examples of simple trigonometric integrals include integrals involving sin(x), cos(x), tan(x), sec(x), csc(x), and cot(x). These integrals may also involve powers and/or coefficients of the trigonometric functions.

4. Why are simple trigonometric integrals important?

Simple trigonometric integrals are important because they are used in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They also serve as building blocks for more complex integrals, making them an essential concept to understand in calculus.

5. What are some tips for solving simple trigonometric integrals?

Some tips for solving simple trigonometric integrals include:

• Using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral
  • Choosing the appropriate trigonometric substitution, if applicable
  • Breaking up the integral into smaller, more manageable parts
  • Practicing regularly to improve understanding and familiarity with the concepts