1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple trigonometry problem

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    Solve [tex]3\cos\frac{3x}{2}=\cos\frac{x}{2} [/tex] I am interested to know how to go about solving such an equation where the coefficient of cos(x) is not equal to 1. I know how to solve [tex] \cos\theta = \cos\alpha, \mbox{ it is just} \theta = 2n\pi +/-\alpha [/tex] I teach various maths subject to myself, then I realised I didn't know how to solve the above equation. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2
    Well, [tex] \cos \frac{3x}{2} = \cos (x + \frac{x}{2}) [/tex]

Therefore, you get [tex] x = (2n + 1)\pi \ for \ n = ...-3, -2, -1,0,1,2,3,... [/tex] as a freebie.

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    Surely the non-trivial solutions are more interesting.

You can always transform multiple angles to powers of trigonometric functions (and vice versa).
    For example with de Moivre
    [tex]\cos ny=\Re\left(\cos y+i\sin y\right)^n[/tex]
    [tex]\cos 3y=\cos^3y-3\cos y\sin^2y=\cos^3y-3\cosy(1-\cos^2y)=\cos y(4\cos^2y-3)=\cos y(2\cos 2y-1)[/tex]

Since here on angle is three times the other, you can use y=x/2 and get
    [tex]3\cos 3y=\cos y[/tex]
    [tex]3\cos y(2\cos(2y)-1)=\cos y[/tex]
    and therefore either
    [tex]x=\pm\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi[/tex]
    or
    [tex]x=\pm\frac14\arccos\frac23+k\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

5. Feb 3, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the time you spent on working that out. I didn't know of De Moivre's. I worked it out afterwards and get [tex] 2y=\pm \arccos(\frac{2}{3})+ 2n\pi[/tex]. And y=x/2, I couldn't [tex] x=\pm\frac{\pi}{4}+k\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex], which is what you got. According to my graphing calculator the graph crosses the x-axis at [tex]\arccos(\frac{2}{3})[/tex] which looks close to pi/4 but is not. It crosses the x-axis again close to pi.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    Not sure what you mean.

Both 1/4arccos 2/3 and pi/4 are solutions.

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6
    I get a principle angle of arccos(2/3) = 2y and -arccos(2/3) is another one , right. Maybe I have already gone wrong. If I saw the steps you used I could follow you. [tex]
    3\cosy(2\cos(2y)-1)=cosy, \mbox{therefore}\\
    3(2\cos(2y)-1)=1, \\
    2\cos(2y)-1=\frac{1}{3}, \\
    2\cos(2y)=4/3, \\
    \cos(2y)=\frac{2}{3} [/tex]

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7
    The equation is
    [tex]3\cos y(2\cos(2y)-1)=\cos y[/tex]
    Now either cos(y) is zero (which gives you pi/4 for x) or you can divide by cos(y) and continue to get x=arccos(2/3)/4

9. Feb 3, 2010 #8
  10. Feb 4, 2010 #9
    If y = x/2 then x = 2y, so if the solutions for y are

[tex] y = \frac {\pi} {2} + k \pi[/tex]

or

[tex] y = \pm \frac {1} {2} \arccos \frac {2}{3} + k \pi [/tex]

then the solutions for x will be

[tex] x = (2k + 1) \pi[/tex]

or

[tex] x = \pm\arccos \frac {2}{3} + 2 k \pi [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. Feb 6, 2010 #10
    Yes, that is what I finally finished up with, willem2.Thanks willem2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook