1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple True/False Question

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    The maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the horizontal velocity component.

True or False

Here's my reasoning - the maximum height is reached when y=0, so in that case the maximum height depends on the horizontal velocity component. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this. I only get 1 shot at getting this right so I wanna hear what you guys think! :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FALSE.Can u see why?

Daniel.

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3
    is it because of gravity?

5. Jan 24, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since it's the only force acting on the projectile (neglecting Magnus effect,aerodynamic force,Stokes force,Coriolis force) i'd say yes...

Daniel.

6. Jan 24, 2005 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah....the KEY point of projectile motion as modelled in school is that horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity are independent. That's what they want you to remember.

7. Jan 24, 2005 #6
    alright thx guys

8. Jan 25, 2005 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You left out the finite size of the planet which brings the inverse square law into play! :-)

9. Jan 25, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He asked me about gravity,not the inverse square law and where it comes from...And besides,everything reduces to solving Einstein's equations,right...?? :wink:

Daniel.

10. Jan 25, 2005 #9

and to continue dexter's nitpicking, he also forgot to incorporate the fact that the earth is not a perfect sphere...Where are them Legendre-terms in the potential ???

marlon

11. Jan 25, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the horizontal velocity component."

Do you see any Earth nonspherical,here???

Daniel.

12. Jan 25, 2005 #11
    do you see any coriolis,blablabla here ???

gravity also changes when you take into account a non-spherical earth

marlon

13. Jan 25, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The PLANET/celestial body (with atmosphere) A PRIORI SPHERICAL IS ASSUMED ROTATING...

I AGREE with the second part...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?