Simple ultrasonic thickness gauge

In summary, the person is looking to build a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge for their final project. They have searched Google and YouTube but could not find a relevant solution. They are now seeking suggestions and have been recommended to study the theory behind quartz crystal microbalances for determining film thickness. They express gratitude for the suggestion and plan to further study this theory.
samani

Homework Statement

I want to built a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge for my final project. I have already search in google about that simple electronic circuit but i can't found it and also i have already looking for tutorial video in youtube about how to built simple ultrasonic thickness gauge but the result about digital ultasonic thickness gauge in factory . Please, any suggestion ? (sorry, if any mistake in my words)

Homework Equations

for now, i don't have relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already search the solution in google and youtube but i can't found the detailed solution (sorry, if any mistake in my words)

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find it helpful to study the theory behind quartz crystal microbalances (QCM), which are widely used in thin films to determine film thickness. They are based on the Saurbrey equation, which you can find more about on Wikipedia. Hope that helps...

thank you for your suggestion :), i will study the theory behind quartz crystal microbalances (QCM),

1. What is a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge?

A simple ultrasonic thickness gauge is a handheld device used to measure the thickness of a material by sending high-frequency sound waves through it and measuring the time it takes for the waves to bounce back.

2. How does a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge work?

The gauge emits high-frequency sound waves from a transmitter through the material being measured. The waves travel through the material until they reach the back surface, where they are reflected back to the receiver. The gauge then calculates the thickness based on the time it takes for the waves to travel through the material and back.

3. What are the advantages of using a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge?

Some advantages of using a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge include its portability, accuracy, and non-destructive testing capabilities. It can be used on a variety of materials, including metals, plastics, and composites, and it does not require any special surface preparation.

4. How do I use a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge?

To use a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge, you first need to calibrate it based on the material being measured. Then, hold the gauge against the material and press the trigger to emit the sound waves. The gauge will display the thickness measurement on its screen.

5. What are some common applications for a simple ultrasonic thickness gauge?

Simple ultrasonic thickness gauges are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and oil and gas for measuring the thickness of pipes, tanks, and other structures. They can also be used for corrosion testing, weld inspection, and quality control.