1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Vector Addition

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1
    Hi again,

I have what is seems to be a simple vector addition problem, but I am questioning a certain part of it. I would show a diagram but I can't at the moment as the computer I am on does not have a drawing program. It should be fairly easy to picture though.

The base of the drawing is a checker board. Everyone knows what those look like, right? There is a force (a checker) A which crosses the black squares diagonally toward the direction of north of east. Then there is a force B (the same checker) which again crosses the black squares pointing in the direction of north of west. The tail of force A begins half way through one black square and the head ends half way into the last black square. Force A passes through 3 full squares, and only through half of 2 of them. Force B passes through 1 full square and only through half of 2 of them.

Each side of a square measures 4.9 cm.

So my question is to find the distance of forces A and B. Would it be easier to find the resultant of those squares. Then add them to find the length of A and B? Or would there be a better method of finding the length of A and B?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2
    Nevermind. The answer is yes. This thread could be deleted if need be. Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?