Vector Addition Homework: Magnitude and Angle Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses two given vectors and asks for the magnitude of one, the angle between another and the positive x-axis, and the magnitude of their sum. The person seeking help is looking for guidance on how to solve the problem, as they missed a class and do not have a book. A web search can provide resources on vectors and vector operations.
HeroicEdge

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by a = 2.3 x - 9.7 y and b = -18.6 x + 2.8 y. What is the magnitude of a?

What is the angle between vector b and the positive x-axis?

What is the magnitude of the vector a + b?

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

None. I don't need the answer I just need to know like the steps to do it. I missed a class and don't have a book so I don't know how to do this >.< Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
HeroicEdge said:

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by a = 2.3 x - 9.7 y and b = -18.6 x + 2.8 y. What is the magnitude of a?

What is the angle between vector b and the positive x-axis?

What is the magnitude of the vector a + b?

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

None. I don't need the answer I just need to know like the steps to do it. I missed a class and don't have a book so I don't know how to do this >.< Any help is appreciated.

A web search will turn up lots of resources for vectors and vector operations. Here's an example: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/u3l1b.cfm

What is simple vector addition?

Simple vector addition is a basic mathematical operation used to combine two or more vectors into a single vector. It involves adding the individual components of each vector to determine the overall magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector and have a specific length that corresponds to its magnitude.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first align them so that their tails are touching. Then, you can simply add the corresponding components of each vector (for example, the x-component of one vector with the x-component of the other) to determine the resulting vector.

What is the commutative property of vector addition?

The commutative property states that the order in which vectors are added does not affect the result. In other words, A + B will always equal B + A. This property is important in vector addition because it allows us to rearrange the order of vectors to make calculations easier.

Can you add more than two vectors together?

Yes, you can add any number of vectors together using the same principles of simple vector addition. Simply align all the vectors so that their tails are touching and add the corresponding components to determine the resulting vector.