Vector Force Addition: Understanding Pressure and Force in Colliding Streams

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of two streams of water at equal pressure and 45 degree angles crossing paths and resulting in an increase in force or pressure when they collide. The expert points out that while force is a vector, pressure is not and is calculated differently. They also mention that if the streams hit a third body, the net resultant force would be greater, but they are unsure about the increase in velocity due to fluid dynamics.
gloo
Suppose I have 2 streams of water (say like 2 garden houses) side by side. If they are both shooting out at a certain pressure say 20 PSI and, they cross paths at 45 degrees (i.e left stream points 45degree to right and right stream points 45 to left). can the pressure or force of the combined streams where they collide, result in a pressure or force increase to say 30 and with a dir'n straight ahead (cancel out direction leaning left/right)?? Am i thinking correctly here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without answering the question, let me point out that while force is a vector, pressure is not. Pressure is the dot product of force and the area vector.

Ok, how about the resulting forces instead of pressure. So 20 Newtons and 20 Newtons at 45 degree combines to something like 30?

^ if they are both hitting a third body then yes, the net resultant will be greater (approx 30).

But I'm not sure how the fluid dynamics would work with the two streams hitting each other, for some reason i doubt there will be an increase in the waters velocity...

What is Simple Vector Force Addition?

Simple vector force addition is a mathematical process used to determine the net force acting on an object by combining multiple individual forces acting on that object.

Why is Simple Vector Force Addition important in science?

Simple vector force addition is important in science because it allows scientists to accurately analyze and predict the motion of objects in various situations, such as in physics and engineering.

How do you calculate the net force using simple vector force addition?

To calculate the net force using simple vector force addition, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force acting on the object. Then, you can add these forces together using vector addition to find the net force.

What are some real-world applications of simple vector force addition?

Simple vector force addition has many real-world applications, such as calculating the net force on a rocket during launch, determining the forces acting on a bridge, and analyzing the motion of objects in sports such as football or basketball.

Are there any limitations to simple vector force addition?

While simple vector force addition is a useful tool for analyzing forces, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that all forces are acting on the same point and in the same plane, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.