1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple vector help

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    vector a = (4i+3j-2k)
    vector b = (2i-3j+2k)

1. a x b
    2. 3a x 2b
    3. |3a x 2b|

3. The attempt at a solution

1. -12j - 18k

2. 6(a x b)
    6(-12j - 18k)
    -48j -108k

3. |6(a x b)|
    sqrt(48^2 + 108^2)

sqrt(13968)

idk if im using identities wrong or if im way off, thx for confirmation on right/wrong and any help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi oreosama, welcome to PF. Your work is correct except a siliy mistake, How much is 12*6?

ehild

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3
    thanks for that.

using the same vectors

a=(4i+3j-2k)
    b=(2i-3j+2k)

the vectors a and b define a plane surface. determine a possible vector perp. to that surface. determine a possible vector parallel to that surface.

perp: a x b= -12j -18k

assuming that's right..

parralel: I have no idea :(

i know parallel vectors just have scaler multiplier but im working with 2 vectors(of which im assuming intersect to create a plane?). im pretty confused at this point so im going to sleep and hope someone provides insight by the time i wake up. thanks for any help

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

If <a> and <b> are contained within the plane, then a vector parallel to <a> or <b> will also be parallel to the plane.
    If two vectors are parallel, then their cross product is the zero vector. Therefore compute:
    [tex] \vec{a}\, ×\,\vec{c} = 0[/tex] where [itex] \vec{c} [/itex] is the vector you want. You can solve a linear system of 3 variables, and get a dependence on the components of <c>.
    Note: <b> can be used in place of <a>

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The vectors a and b lay in the surface, and so do their linear combinations. All are parallel with the plane. (you can shift a vector parallel with itself, it is the same vector.)

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook