1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Vector Problem. Help please!

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I know this problem is easy but im having some trouble. If someone could point me in the right direction i would be really grateful.
    Suppose (vector)C=(vector)A + (vector)B
    a) under what circumstances does [A]=+[C]?
    b) Could [C]=[A]-?
    ( [ ]= absolute value)
    Ok. For A i think that A and B would have to have the same signs but Im really not to sure.
    For B i cant see how C=A+B can be equal to [C]=[A]-. It seems like a simple contradiction, which usually means im wrong. :tongue2:
    I would really apprecitate some help!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2
    Try drawing any two random vectors A and B on a piece of paper. Then draw vector C = A + B. Is it possible for you to draw A and B such that the lengh of A plus the length of B is equal to the length of C?

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

Diane_

Homework Helper

Antiflag - for (a), did you mean |C| = |A| + |B|? That's the question Tzar hinted at.

For (b), you were on the right track with your other answer. Think: the difference between vector addition and scalar addition is that vectors have direction. Does the - sign have any meaning with respect to direction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?