Solving Vector Problems: Magnitude of A | Physics & Math Homework

• Thread starter Kaldanis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of vector A given two equations: A+B=6i+j and A-B=-4i+7j. By adding the equations and dividing by 2, the value of A is found to be i+4j, which corresponds to a magnitude of 4.1. Graphically, this result can be verified by drawing a line segment between the tips of the two vectors and bisecting it to find point C, which represents vector A.
Kaldanis

Homework Statement

We got this problem in our Physics lecture but maybe it should be in the math section. Anyway, the problem is:

If [itex]\vec{A}+\vec{B} = 6\hat{i} + \hat{j}[/itex], and if [itex]\vec{A}-\vec{B} = -4\hat{i} + 7\hat{j}[/itex], what is the magnitude of [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]?

A) 3.0
B) 4.1
C) 5.4
D) 5.8
E) 8.2

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew them out, but other than filling in the angles I'm not quite sure what to do next! I'd appreciate any hints on which direction to go

2iu7zfc.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you could do it geometrically. But there is a faster way. Think of your two equations, and how you could rearrange them to get [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]

BruceW said:
I guess you could do it geometrically. But there is a faster way. Think of your two equations, and how you could rearrange them to get [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]

Ohh, I didn't think of solving them as equations. The answer is 2i + 8j which = 8.2? :)

Not quite. When you add both equations together, you get: 2 [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = 2i + 8j So you need to divide by 2 to get [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]

BruceW said:
Not quite. When you add both equations together, you get: 2 [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = 2i + 8j So you need to divide by 2 to get [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]

I need to stop making stupid mistakes like that! I see the answer is i + 4j = 4.1 now, thank you

yeah, no worries!

To check your result graphically, draw a line segment between the tips of the two vectors you've drawn (A+B and A-B). Bisect that line segment and call the midpoint point C. Draw a vector from the origin to point C. That'll be vector A. The line segment from C to the tip of the A+B vector will be vector B. The negative of B is the line segment from C to the tip of the A-B vector. :smile:

1. What is a 'Simple' vector problem?

A 'simple' vector problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves manipulating and analyzing vectors (quantities that have both magnitude and direction). These problems can range from basic vector addition and subtraction to more complex concepts such as vector projection and cross product.

2. How do I approach solving a 'simple' vector problem?

To solve a 'simple' vector problem, it is important to first understand the properties and operations of vectors. This includes understanding vector notation, vector components, and vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, you can apply them to the problem at hand.

3. Can you give an example of a 'simple' vector problem?

Sure! An example of a 'simple' vector problem would be finding the resultant displacement when an object moves 5 meters east and then 3 meters north. To solve this problem, you would use vector addition to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving 'simple' vector problems?

One common mistake when solving 'simple' vector problems is mixing up the order of vector operations. For example, the order in which vectors are added or subtracted can affect the final result. It is important to pay attention to the direction and magnitude of each vector and perform the operations in the correct order.

5. How can 'simple' vector problems be applied in real life?

'Simple' vector problems have many real-life applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate forces and motions in a variety of systems, such as projectile motion, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid dynamics. They are also useful in navigation and mapping, as well as in computer graphics and animation.