Simple vector problems (hints please)

• Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit vector from P1 to P2, determining the position vector to a point M on the line from P1 to P2, and finding two vectors that make up the diagonals of a parallelogram with sides a=2i-j+k and b=i+j. The conversation also addresses the use of "i, j, k" notation for vectors and the parallelogram rule for vector addition.
sony
Hi, I'm stuck here:

P1(1,2,3) and P2(2,2,2)
Q1: Find a unitvector that points from P1 to P2. - A unitvector is a vector with length 1, right? But then what...?

Q2: A point M lies on the center on the line from P1 to P2. What is the position vector to M?

The sides of a parallellogram are a=2i-j+k and b=i+j
Q3: Find two vector that make up the diagonals. - I don't have a clue, which sides are a and b? And WHY! does my crappy book insist on writing everything with "i, i and k" thus making everything more difficult to read. (In HS we had fx: AB=[2,5,1]...)

Thanks for hints!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you subtract the coordinates of point p2 from point p1 you will have your vector [tex] V_1_2 [/tex].

You are correct, any unit vector does have a magnitude of one.

You create your unit vector by dividing [tex] V_1_2 [/tex] by the magnitude of the vector.

Thus it will have magnitude one but the direction of the vector.

The other questions are solved in a similar manner.

:smile:

Ok, thanks :)

But I'm still stuck with the last to questions

Okay, as for the second one if we take a 1-D case this will simplify things. So if we have [tex] X_1 [/tex] and [tex] X_2 [/tex] then the point halfway between the two is clearly [tex] ( X_1 + X_2 )/2 [/tex].

Now just apply this to each coordinate for the halfway point for P1 and P2.

Your book is correct to use that coordinate system and you should just get used to it. Think of i = x, j = y and k = z in your head until you get used to it.

As for the 3rd one... draw a rough picture and see if u can make sense of it.

Thanks I got that right now. But I'm unsure about the last one. I'm not even sure how to sketch it... I mean, one is in 3D and on in 2D...

sony said:
Q3: Find two vector that make up the diagonals. - I don't have a clue, which sides are a and b? And WHY! does my crappy book insist on writing everything with "i, i and k" thus making everything more difficult to read. (In HS we had fx: AB=[2,5,1]...)

There's often a difference between the "easy way" and the "right way". "i, j, k" is the standard way to write vectors. Many people would find [2,5,1] harder to read than 2i+ 5y+ j. I don't see any difference myself (although the "[" notation is less common that "(" or "<" for vectors).

As for "Find two vector that make up the diagonals. - I don't have a clue, which sides are a and b?", do you remember the "parallelogram rule" for vector addition? Suppose you make a parallelogram with vectors a and b as sides. Where is a+b?

Ah, I remember. a+b is the diagonal. Thanks

1. What is a vector in simple terms?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the graphical method by placing the vectors tip-to-tail and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the last vector. Alternatively, you can use the component method by breaking down the vectors into their x and y components and adding or subtracting them separately.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude and direction of a vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the vector. To calculate the direction, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to find the angle between the vector and a reference axis.

5. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative values for their magnitude and direction. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive value. For example, a vector with a magnitude of -5 and a direction of 180 degrees is pointing in the opposite direction of a vector with a magnitude of 5 and a direction of 0 degrees.