1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Vector Question

1. Aug 1, 2004 #1
    I'm having trouble with what should be a simple question!

Let a = (2,4,-2) and b = (4,-2,2)

I need to be able to express a as the sum of two vectors, one parallel to b and the other perpendicular to b.

Thing is, I haven't the foggiest idea where to start! Any ideas?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2004 #2
    The vector parallel to b is called the "projection of a onto b". There is a formula for it, and it should be covered in any basic book on linear algebra (at least in the cases of the vectors being in R^2 or R^3). proj(a, b) = (a.b)/(b.b) * b, (but obviously it's no good to just know the formula, so get yourself a book) ;).

4. Aug 1, 2004 #3
    erm,
    u mean the component of a parallel to b is "the projection of a onto b" right?

anyways as muzza said the parallel component of a comes as a projection of a onto b and the entire thing can be written as,
    a = [(a.b)/b^2] b + (a - [(a.b)/b^2] b)

the first component is parallel to b and the second component is perpendicular to b.

-- AI

5. Aug 1, 2004 #4
    Yes, I figured that was understood.

6. Aug 1, 2004 #5
    Thanks for the speedy replies.

I get where the parallel component comes from, but I don't understand where the perpendicular component comes from?

7. Aug 1, 2004 #6
    Let a_p be the aforementioned vector parallel to b, and a_o be the perpendicular vector. Then a = a_p + a_o <=> a_o = a - a_p = a - (a.b)/(b.b) * b.

8. Aug 1, 2004 #7
    Thanks, that explained it very clearly. Can't believe I didn't notice it was that simple.

Thanks

9. Jan 7, 2012 #8
    there should be some another method

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. Jan 7, 2012 #9
    misread it

11. Jan 7, 2012 #10

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

aswinsp thank you for your contribution but if you look at the time stamp above people's names you will see that this thread is 8 years old. Posting in such an old thread is called necroposting and is not allowed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?