• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Simple Vector question.

• Thread starter arianabedi
  • Start date

Homework Statement

This is a "exam style" question for A-Level mathematics regarding vectors. The question is as followed:

Relative to a fixed origin O, the points A and B have position vectors 4i+3j-k and i+4j+4k respectively.

(a) Find the vector equation of the line l1 which passes through A and B.

The line l2 has equation r=22i+aj+4k+μ(bi-j+2k), where μ is scalar parameter and a and b are constants.
The lines l1 and l2 are perpendicular and intersect. Find:

(b) the values of a and b

(c) the position vector of the point of intersection of l1 and l2

Homework Equations

Vector equation of a strait line through two points C and D:

r=c+t(d-c)

if there is any other ones, I am unfortunately unaware of

The Attempt at a Solution

Sadly I've been given no knowledge of how to do this question since vectors is not a part of my course. Therefore there are no attempts made

4.Conclusion
This question is really getting into my head and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-A

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

This is a "exam style" question for A-Level mathematics regarding vectors. The question is as followed:

Relative to a fixed origin O, the points A and B have position vectors 4i+3j-k and i+4j+4k respectively.

(a) Find the vector equation of the line l1 which passes through A and B.

The line l2 has equation r=22i+aj+4k+μ(bi-j+2k), where μ is scalar parameter and a and b are constants.
The lines l1 and l2 are perpendicular and intersect. Find:

(b) the values of a and b

(c) the position vector of the point of intersection of l1 and l2

Homework Equations

Vector equation of a strait line through two points C and D:

r=c+t(d-c)

if there is any other ones, I am unfortunately unaware of

The Attempt at a Solution

Sadly I've been given no knowledge of how to do this question since vectors is not a part of my course. Therefore there are no attempts made
Then why don't you wait until vectors are presented in your course, or when you take a course where vectors are presented?
4.Conclusion
This question is really getting into my head and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-A

Then why don't you wait until vectors are presented in your course, or when you take a course where vectors are presented?
Well the reason is that I've been told by my tutor that I will not be studying vectors.

Then how do you expect to be able to solve problems that involve vectors?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For this problem, all you really need to know is that a point with position vector ai+ bj+ ck has coordinates (a, b, c).