1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple vectors not so simple.

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    A worker lifts a sign by exerting a force along a rope of 250 N at an angle of 50 degrees with respect to the ground

i dont even know where to start...=\..just need a push in the right direction please

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2
    Hah, that's not your problem statement...

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    ha o right..i guess that didnt even make sense
    so im sposed to draw a coordinate system and sketch the vector
    would it just be a 50 degree angle? or what

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    Yeah, basically the picture that makes the most sense to me is that this worker is standing right next to the sign, and pulls on some rope he has attached to himself and the sign with a force of 250N at the angle of 50 degrees.

Is that all, to draw the vector and the coordinate system? Probably ought to put the origin at the sign, for obvious reasons.

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    alright thanks so much! im way struggling in this class just got my 5th concussion and have been missing class so nothings making sense at all
    so thanks a bunch!

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    Gross. No problem.

The resultant x and y vectors would be 250cos50, since cos50 = x/hypotenus (where the hyp is the force), and 250sin50 in case you were wondering about those.

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7
    Oh ok sweet thanks a lot! =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?