Simple vectors question that I can't seem to get right?

• Thread starter alexgmcm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, a vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only represents magnitude. To add two vectors together, they must be in the same coordinate system and their corresponding components can be added. Vectors can also be multiplied together, resulting in either a scalar or vector quantity. Some real-life applications of vectors include representing forces and motion, calculating displacement and velocity, and creating 3D graphics and animations, as well as in navigation systems like GPS.
alexgmcm
All information pertaining to the question and my attempted solution is here: http://mathbin.net/39295

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
alexgmcm said:
All information pertaining to the question and my attempted solution is here: http://mathbin.net/39295

It would be better if you could post the question and your work here on the PF, using the PF Homework Help template that you are supplied, rather than making us click through levels of another website.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but I'd already typed it up there. It seems like the mark scheme might just be wrong as everyone else seems to get the same answer as me.

1. What exactly is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented graphically as an arrow with a specific length and direction.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, temperature is a scalar because it only has a numerical value, while velocity is a vector because it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

3. How do I add two vectors together?

To add two vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can add their corresponding components (x and y coordinates) together to get the resulting vector's components. This can also be done graphically by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first to the head of the second.

4. Can I multiply two vectors together?

Yes, there are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector. These operations are used for different purposes and have different formulas, so it is important to know which one is needed for a specific problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of vectors?

Vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some common applications include representing forces and motion, calculating displacement and velocity, and creating 3D graphics and animations. They are also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine position and direction.