1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple VHDL Problem

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey there ... I got this VHDL problem as an exam question and it kinda freaked me out .. had no idea where to even begin and hence, got like 2 marks out of 20.

I do want to know how to program these though:

Here are the questions:

2. Relevant equations

Well, it's VHDL .. use what you like I guess .. but keep it simple as possible.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at Q1 (which I think is wrong)

Entity Bus is
    port(write1, write2, write3: in std_logic;
    wdata1, wdata2, wdata3: in bit_vector(7 downto 0);
    f: out bit_vector(7 downto 0));
    -- The f variable is what I think is wrong.
    End Bus;

Architecture Behaviour of Bus is
    f <= wdata1 when write1 = "1" else
    wdata2 when write2 = "1" else
    wdata3 when write3 = "1";
    End Behaviour;

For Q2 .. I was VERY unsure ... What I did was treat the entire structure as the Entity with the inputs:
    io_port_data, address_rf, write_rf
    I'm not sure if the control signals (load_accumulator, bus_rf, bus_alu, bus_ioport) are to be declared in the Entity.

What confused me is that this Bus has output ports, unlike the Entity described above. Also, I don't know how to program the the registers. This question made up 20 percent of the exam .. If I did get 20/20 .. I would have passed :( PLEASE help!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2
    I just started to really learn VHDL, but it seems like theres alot wrong with this...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?