Simple Velocity Problem: Solving for Time with Two Traveling Cars

• Thread starter jk4
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two cars traveling at different speeds, with the front bumpers initially 125 meters apart. Using the equation v_{average} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}, the time it takes for the cars to become even can be calculated. The correct answer is 22.5 seconds, which can be found by imagining the 40 km/h car as stationary and solving for the time it takes for the 60 km/h car to close the distance.
jk4

Homework Statement

How long does it take an automobile traveling 60.0 km/h to become even with a car that is traveling in another lane at 40.0 km/h if the cars' front bumpers are initially 125 m apart?

Homework Equations

[tex]v_{average} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll just give an explanation because it seems like a pretty simple problem. I'm just getting a different answer than the book. Here goes:
I set the distance for the 60km/h car to d+125m since it has to travel the same distance as the 40km/h car plus the extra 125m that it had to catch up. Then I solved them for the variable (d) and set the 2 equations equal to each other, and then finished solving for time.
I ended up with: 6.25 seconds The book says it takes: 22.5 seconds
the books answer seems wrong to me... can anyone verify this, or let me know what I did wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
22.5 s is correct; I'm not sure what went wrong with your calculations.. they sound about right.
The easiest way to do this: imagine that the 40 km/h car is stationary (move to its reference frame), initially 125 m from the 60 km/h car.
What velocity is the 60 km/h car going in this new reference frame (hint: what's the difference in their velocities).
How long will it take to close the 125m distance at that speed?

I was getting the units wrong. Thanks for you help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I solve for time in a simple velocity problem with two traveling cars?

To solve for time in a simple velocity problem with two traveling cars, you will need to use the formula: time = distance/velocity. First, determine the distance between the two cars and the velocity of each car. Then, plug these values into the formula to calculate the time it takes for the two cars to reach a certain point.

2. Can I use the same formula to solve for time if the two cars are traveling in opposite directions?

Yes, the formula for solving for time in a simple velocity problem with two traveling cars can be used for both cars traveling in the same direction and in opposite directions. However, you will need to account for the different velocities and directions of the cars in your calculations.

3. What units should I use for distance and velocity in the formula?

The units used for distance and velocity in the formula for solving for time in a simple velocity problem can vary depending on the problem. However, it is important to ensure that the units for distance and velocity are consistent. For example, if distance is measured in meters, velocity should also be measured in meters per second.

4. How do I know if my calculated time is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculated time, you can check your calculations and make sure that you have used the correct values for distance and velocity. You can also double-check your answer by plugging the calculated time back into the original formula and making sure it equals the given distance divided by velocity.

5. Can I use this formula for more than two cars traveling at different velocities?

Yes, you can use the formula for solving for time in a simple velocity problem with more than two cars traveling at different velocities. However, you will need to account for the velocities and distances of each car in your calculations and may need to use multiple formulas to solve for the time it takes for each car to reach a certain point.