1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple volocity problem

1. May 19, 2008 #1

jk4

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How long does it take an automobile traveling 60.0 km/h to become even with a car that is traveling in another lane at 40.0 km/h if the cars' front bumpers are initially 125 m apart?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v_{average} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'll just give an explanation because it seems like a pretty simple problem. I'm just getting a different answer than the book. Here goes:
    I set the distance for the 60km/h car to d+125m since it has to travel the same distance as the 40km/h car plus the extra 125m that it had to catch up. Then I solved them for the variable (d) and set the 2 equations equal to each other, and then finished solving for time.
    I ended up with: 6.25 seconds The book says it takes: 22.5 seconds
    the books answer seems wrong to me... can anyone verify this, or let me know what I did wrong? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    22.5 s is correct; i'm not sure what went wrong with your calculations.. they sound about right.
    The easiest way to do this: imagine that the 40 km/h car is stationary (move to its reference frame), initially 125 m from the 60 km/h car.
    What velocity is the 60 km/h car going in this new reference frame (hint: whats the difference in their velocities).
    How long will it take to close the 125m distance at that speed?

4. May 21, 2008 #3

jk4

I was getting the units wrong. Thanks for you help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?