Solve Volume Density Problem for College Physics [Answer Included]

In summary, the problem involves finding the correct answer for a simple volume density problem in an online physics assignment. The tolerance for the answer is 1%, causing some difficulty for the submitter. The correct answer is found to be 25.2, with the mistake being due to counting the intersection of the T's twice. The issue of units and significant figures is also addressed in the conversation.
groundknifer
[SOLVED] Simple volume density problem..

Hello, my college is some how affiliated with utexas so we got to do all our
physics probs online and submit them to utexas... the problem is that if i
get 51.12 and the correct answer is 50.3 (tolerance 1%) then i get it
wrong!

So here's 1 problem were i keep on getting same answer but according to
website its wrong:
http://f0rk.com/~dmitri/prob.jpg

can someone gimme correct answer please, i keep on getting 25.59 and its
wrong!@#!@#

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm getting a different answer.

Can you post your work so we can see where the problem is?

Volume_top_part=1.07m x .00517m x .168m = .000929m^3
Volume_middle_part=1.07 x .00517m x .276m = .001527m^3
Volume_bottom_part=Volume_top_part

V_total=.00398m^3

density of iron is 7560 kg/m^3
density=mass/volume

so,
7560kg/m^3=mass/.00398m^3
mass=30.11

is that correct?

ok i found my mistake.. i got 25.162 (thats correct i think)

also i ran into a problem while finding the amount of iron atoms in that mass...

my equation is:
avogadros number: 6.022x10^23
atomic mass (iron): 55.85

25.162 x ((6.022x10^23)/55.85) = 2.713E+23

Yeah, you were counting the intersection of the T's twice. The trick is to count the top and bottom, and then use h-2d instead of h for the height of the center piece.

For the next part, the atomic mass* Avogadros number is number per gram, and you are working with kilograms.

Always keep the units in your equations. If in doubt, make sure they all cancel. That is the #A1 "gotcha" for all intro level science classes.

Welcome to Physicsforums, BTW

Originally posted by groundknifer
ok i found my mistake.. i got 25.162 (thats correct i think)

also i ran into a problem while finding the amount of iron atoms in that mass...

my equation is:
avogadros number: 6.022x10^23
atomic mass (iron): 55.85

25.162 x ((6.022x10^23)/55.85) = 2.713E+23

If you submit that answer my class you would still be wrong. Notice that most of the given numbers have only 3 siginificant digits. That is the most that you can have in your answer. The above number simply shows you used a calculator, it should read 25.2, given the numbers used to generate it.

1. What is volume density?

Volume density, also known as mass density, is a measure of the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is typically denoted by the symbol ρ and is expressed in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How do you calculate volume density?

Volume density can be calculated by dividing the mass of the substance by its volume. The formula for volume density is ρ = m/V, where ρ is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume.

3. Why is volume density important in physics?

Volume density is important in physics because it helps us understand the properties of different substances. It is a fundamental concept in many areas of physics, including fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. Volume density is also used in engineering and other sciences to determine the strength and behavior of materials.

4. What are some real-world examples of volume density?

Some real-world examples of volume density include the density of air, water, and different types of metals. For instance, the volume density of air at sea level is approximately 1.2 kg/m3, while the volume density of gold is about 19,300 kg/m3.

5. How is volume density related to other density measurements?

Volume density is closely related to other density measurements, such as mass density and specific gravity. Mass density is simply another term for volume density, while specific gravity is the ratio of an object's density to the density of water at a specified temperature. Specific gravity is often used in industries such as winemaking and brewing to measure the sugar content of solutions.