1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple volume help please

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    Ok,so I have a simple volume problem that i'm having a little trouble with.

I want to rotate the region in the first quadrant bounded by the following formulas around the Y axis.
    [tex]
    y=x^3[/tex]
    [tex]y=2x-x^2[/tex]

I solved for x and got
    [tex]
    x=\sqrt[3]{y}[/tex]
    [tex]x=1- \sqrt{1-y}[/tex] I know I get two roots but I am pretty sure this is the one I want.

I do have one question here, when given such equations as [tex]y=2x-x^2[/tex] how do you go about solving for x? I used Mathematica because I couldnt get it, but anyways back to the main problem.

so I then did [tex]\pi \int^1 _0 \sqrt[3]{y}^2 - (1- \sqrt{1-y})^2 dy[/tex]

I expanded [tex](1- \sqrt{1-y})^2[/tex] and then integrated the expresion and got the following:

[tex]\pi [\frac{3y^\frac{5}{3}}{5} - 2y - \frac{4}{3} (1-y)^{\frac{3}{2}}+\frac{y^2}{2}]^1_0[/tex]

This isn't right however and I assume I messed up somewhere in my final integration, any help? Thanks a lot. I am also going to assume it has to do with [tex](1- \sqrt{1-y})^2[/tex], I did U substitution on the term [tex]2 \sqrt{1-y}[/tex] and am thinking I messed that up, but once again, am not sure. The only other thing I can think about is maybe I missed up my functions somehow. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a quadratic in x:

[tex]x^2-2x+y=0 \Rightarrow x=1\pm \sqrt{1-y}[/tex]

4. Mar 8, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At a first glance,your integration seems okay.

Daniel.

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    Oh, sorry, I think I just messed up evaluating it, I forgot that all the terms aren't 0 when it is evaluated at 0...I make the dumbest mistakes! :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?