1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Volume

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using disks or washers, find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the curves y = sec(x), y = 1, x = 1, x = -1 on the x-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

This should be ridiculously easy but apparently my answer is wrong?!

To calculate the volume i use the equation [itex]V = \pi \int _{-1}^{1} (sec(x)^{2} - 1)dx[/itex]

From here it should be trivial since this evaluates to [itex]\pi [ tan^{2} x | _{-1}^{1} ] = 0[/itex]

But my answer is apparently wrong... Should i be doing something differently? I've followed the formula exactly how it should be followed to my knowledge.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the antiderivative of ##\sec^2x## correct? And did you forget the antiderivative of the ##-1##? Or did you use a trig identity and forget to integrate it?

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Whoops. So i apply a trig identity... sec^2(x)-1 = tan^2(x)

Then i antiderive tan^2(x) which gives me... tan(x) - x

So, computing (tan(1) - 1) - (tan(-1) + 1) results in... pi(2tan(1)-2) or 3.5022... And that's right! Thanks for the help.

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice you could have written the answer tan(x)-x directly by taking the antiderivative of your integrand as it stands since the derivative of tan(x) is sec^2(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted