1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple wavelength question?

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 6m length of rope has a mass of 7kg. It is pulled taut with a force of 140 N. What is the speed of the wave for the rope?

2. Relevant equations

i have no idea...
    v=λf
    L=λ/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea if I have the right formulas....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Can you post the full question? In summarizing the details from your text book, you have omitted essential information.

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3
    That is the whole question... I may have missed some formulas during class however.

5. Jan 8, 2012 #4
    There is an equation for the speed of a wave along a stretched string. It involves tension and mass information.......have you met this equation?

6. Jan 8, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Thanks to technician we call fill in what we have missed (or forgotten). :cool:

This article will fill in the gaps. http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter17section3.rhtml

7. Jan 8, 2012 #6
    Yeah I kept on using that equation but it din't work. I realized at about 4am that it was actually .7kg...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook