Who Gets a Free Book and Calendar at the Book Sale?

In summary, every 14th person to arrive at the book sale will receive both a free calendar and a free book. The numbers 24 and 48 can be divided by 8 and 6, respectively, indicating that these individuals will be the first to receive both items. This pattern can be continued for the first 1000 customers.
t3rom

Homework Statement

Every 6th person who arrives at a book sale receives a free calendar and every 8th person receives a free book. Which of the first 50 people receive a book and a calendar?

Homework Equations

Kindly check and the solution please. Can't really figure it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

Every 14th person a free calendar and book.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come to this number 14 ?

It is my son who came up with 14. I'm not good at math unfortunately.

Then we do the counting: numbers 6, 12, 18 etc get a calendar.
Numbers 8, 16, etc get a book.

Continue the series and find the folks that get both !
See if there is a way to do it when they ask for the first 1000 customers ...

t3rom said:
It is my son who came up with 14. I'm not good at math unfortunately.

I can imagine a good, old argument in the bookstore: "my son was the 14th person in the store, so he wants his fee calendar and his free book".

I came up with 24 and 48. Is this correct? Thanks for helping!

That's the idea. Numbers like 24 and 48 can be divided by 8 and by 6.

t3rom said:
I came up with 24 and 48. Is this correct? Thanks for helping!

Hopefully the bookstore owner would agree with that and there would be no argument!

What is a simple math word problem?

A simple math word problem is a question or scenario that requires the use of basic math skills to solve. It typically involves numbers, operations, and real-life situations.

How do I solve a simple math word problem?

To solve a simple math word problem, you should read the question carefully to understand what information is given and what is being asked. Then, identify the relevant numbers and operations and use them to perform the necessary calculations.

What are the basic math skills needed to solve a simple math word problem?

The basic math skills needed to solve a simple math word problem include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Other skills that may be needed include understanding fractions, decimals, and percentages, as well as basic algebraic concepts.

Why are simple math word problems important?

Simple math word problems are important because they help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also help students apply math concepts to real-life situations, making the subject more relatable and practical.

How can I improve my skills in solving simple math word problems?

To improve your skills in solving simple math word problems, practice regularly and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and use online resources such as worksheets and interactive games.