Solving a Simple Work/Energy Problem: Finding the Correct Magnitude and Sign

• Thread starter danago
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a solved problem in which the magnitude of the answer was correct but the sign was incorrect. The solution involves using the formula Fx = ΔT + ΔVg to determine the net change in energy of an object with an applied horizontal force. There is a discrepancy in the solution, as it gives a negative answer instead of a positive one. However, the individual discussing the problem believes their solution is correct and that the book may be wrong. Further discussion involves clarifying the effects of a horizontal force on gravitational potential energy and determining the change in height for the object's motion. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a solution involving setting up work kinetic energy equations for both the x and y directions and solving for the unknown
danago
Gold Member
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/237/41820624ks2.jpg

Ive solved it and the magnitude of my answer was correct, but the sign was incorrect. Ill show my working using letters rather than actual values.

Since energy is added the the object by the force F which does work on the object, the net change in energy of the object will be Fx. The only energies of the object which are changing throughout the motion are its gavitational potential energy and its kinetic energy, so the following statement must hold true:

[tex]
Fx = \Delta T + \Delta V_g
[/tex]

Where T is the kinetic energy and Vg is the gravitational potential energy.

[tex]
Fx = 0.5m\Delta (v^2 ) + mg\Delta h \Rightarrow \Delta h = \frac{{Fx - 0.5m\Delta (v^2 )}}{{mg}}
[/tex]

Substituting all the given values into the solution derived above gives me an answer of ~0.09, but the solutions say it should be -0.09.

Where am i going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My solution seems to make physical sense as well. Since the net change in energy due to the external force is greater than the change in kinetic energy, the potential energy must also increase which corrosponds to an increase in height.

The solution derives the exact same formula, but somehow is supposed to give a negative answer rather than positive.

I think your solution is correct. Sometimes the book is wrong.

danago said:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/237/41820624ks2.jpg

Since energy is added the the object by the force F which does work on the object, the net change in energy of the object will be Fx. The only energies of the object which are changing throughout the motion are its gavitational potential energy and its kinetic energy, so the following statement must hold true:

[tex]
Fx = \Delta T + \Delta V_g
[/tex]

How can that be true if the applied force is horizontal? How is that force affecting the gravitational potential energy?

Work = [tex]\Delta[/tex]KE = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] d[tex]\vec{r}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex]Fdrcos(0) = [tex]\int^{v_{f}}_{v_{i}}[/tex]vdv = (1/2)m([tex]v_{f}^{2}[/tex] - [tex]v_{f}^{2}[/tex])

From the picture, it looks like the initial and final velocities are at non-horizontal angles, so wouldn't you have to find the horizontal components of those velocities to use KE?

Also, assuming state 1 is the initial position and state 2 is the final position, from the picture it looks like the change in height should be negative, since the object moves downhill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I solved the problem and obtained the answer of -0.09m. To do this is assumed that the velocity at state 1 is in the x direction and the velocity at state 2 is in a random direction. I then set up my work kinetic energy equations for both the x and y directions. In the x i got Fx = 1/2(3.2kg)(vf)^2-1/2(3.2kg)(8.8)^2= (132N)(.8m). In the y direction i got (9.8m/s^2)*h = 1/2(Vf)^2. The final equation to tie it all togther is just ((Vfx)^2+(Vfy)^2)^.5 = 11.9m/s . This last equation is just setting the known final velocity magnitude of 11.9m/s equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Thus from the first two equations we can find (vfx)^2 which is just a number and (vfy)^2 which is a function of height. Hence the only unkown is the h and it will turn out negative.

1. What is a simple work/energy problem?

A simple work/energy problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the work done on an object or the energy of an object. These problems typically involve a force acting on an object, and the distance over which the force is applied.

2. What is the equation for calculating work?

The equation for calculating work is W = Fd, where W is work, F is the force applied to the object, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This equation is only applicable when the force and the displacement are in the same direction.

3. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related. Work is the amount of energy transferred to or from an object, while energy is the ability to do work. In simple work/energy problems, the work done on an object is equal to the change in the object's energy.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). This is the same unit as energy, as work and energy are directly related.

5. How do you solve a simple work/energy problem?

To solve a simple work/energy problem, you first need to identify the force acting on the object and the distance over which the force is applied. Then, plug these values into the equation W = Fd to calculate the work done on the object. Finally, you can use the work done to determine the change in energy of the object.