1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple, yet annoying, proof

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]a+b = ab = a^b[/tex]
    Prove that [tex]a=b=2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I've tried this for more than an hour now, but can't figure out how to do it. I guess it could be done with Lambert's W-function (?) but this task is given on a much lower level. They haven't even learned how to prove that when x is a odd number, then x squared must be odd aswell. So this must be really simple, but still I can't figure anything out.

I've tried to take the equations and isolate a or b, and then insert it into one of the other functions, but I've gotten nowhere. I really hope someone could help me se the obvious here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    This is part of the proof:
    I'm in a hurry continue later(=

[tex]a+b\equiv0(moda)[/tex]
    [tex]b\equiv0(moda)[/tex]
    Therefore,a divides b

[tex]a^{b}\equivab(modb)[/tex]
    [tex]a^{b}\equiv0(modb)[/tex]
    Therefore,b divides a

Concluding that [tex]a=\pmb[/tex]

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't give complete answers. :grumpy: But your approach can't work anyways, because it doesn't say anything about non-integers.

I presume that you're supposed to have an idea inspired by the qualitative behavior of addition vs. multiplication vs. exponentiation....

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At low level I would mean to substitute the values given for a and b and see if the relations are true :)

ehild

6. Jan 8, 2010 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Norway! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Here's a start …

the bit on the left gives you an ab - a - b … does that remind you of anything? :wink:

7. Jan 8, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? There were no "values given". The problem is to show that his is true for all numbers a and b.

8. Jan 8, 2010 #7
    To be hones - no, it doesn't. :(
    First thing that comes to mind are those (a+b)2 rules, but I guess neither of them fits in here.
    Then I think; "So a and b multiplied minus a and b is zero. That must mean that a+b=ab", and we're back to the start...
    Sorry.

9. Jan 8, 2010 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try adding a constant to it, and then factoring it. :wink:

10. Jan 8, 2010 #9
    Geez, I still don't get it.
    I'm trying to look at this task like I have no idea what a and b could be, I'm not doing anything wrong there, am I?

Ok, [tex]ab-a-b=0[/tex]. If we knew that a=b, then OK, but we don't. That's what we're going to prove. Right?

Or wait;
    [tex]ab - a - b + 1 = 1 \ \Rightarrow \ (a-1)(b-1) = 1[/tex]

Was this what you had in mind?
    Then what? If they had to be integers, then sure, but they don't. Any more hints would be greatly appreciated. :D

11. Jan 8, 2010 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

ok, now have a go at the bit on the right … ab = ab

how can you get an (a - 1) or a (b - 1) out of that? :wink:

12. Jan 8, 2010 #11
    Hi everyone,
    tiny-tim, I tried: ab=a^b
    a-1=a^(b-1)-1 and since b-1=1/(a-1), then (a-1)(a^(1/(a-1))-1)=1...

but it's not a likeable equation,is it?
    is there any other way?

13. Jan 8, 2010 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi penguin007! :smile:

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I managed to get as far as ab-2ba-2 = 1 …

not sure what to do then. :redface:

14. Jan 8, 2010 #13
    Hi Hurkyl!
    You are true i've neglected the non-integers. But if it is non-integers, i do not know how should i deal with my proof.

Hi!Norway can you specify if a and b are real numbers or solely integers?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  15. Jan 8, 2010 #14
    Hi! The task was given exactly as I gave it to you. I would guess this means all numbers, but maybe it was integers. As I said, this was given on a relatively low level, to students who has never ever done any proofs before.

Thank you guys.

16. Jan 8, 2010 #15

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Norway, was it said that "Prove that a=b=2" with the same words? Or was it meant like that: prove that a=b=2 satisfies the equations above? A simple substitution of a=2 and b=2 into the equations is a complete proof then, the derivation of the solution is not necessary. If the question means "prove that a=b=2 is the unique solution", that is a nice problem for high level, as this thread illustrates it, but not for beginners in maths.

ehild

17. Jan 9, 2010 #16
    The expression you got seems to be interesting tiny-tim but I didn't manage to exploit it.

We can try to introduce the function f:=x->(x-1)*(x(1/(x-1))-1) and then by studying the variations of this function, we would show that the equation (x-1)*(x(1/(x-1))-1) =1 has a single solution (x=2, which would give us a=2); BUT:
    1-I do not guarantee the study of f is easy;
    2-this problem seems to be a more arithmetic one and therefore should be solved differently;

18. Jan 9, 2010 #17
    Well, it said "Given [tex]a+b=ab=a^b[/tex], prove: [tex]a=b=2[/tex]"

But yes, I do start to wonder. They can express themselves quite sloppy sometimes, especially on lower levels. I just saw a good try on this on a Norwegian forum of maths (that's why I posted this here, I saw this question, and was unable to help, even though I'm on a much higher course :blushing:).

[tex]ab = a^b[/tex]

[tex](ab)^b = \left(a^b\right)^b[/tex]

[tex]a^b b^b = a^{b \cdot b}[/tex]

[tex]b^b = a^b[/tex]

[tex]a = b[/tex]

[tex]a+b = ab[/tex]

[tex]2a = a \cdot a[/tex]

[tex]a = b = 2[/tex]

Obviously this turned out to be wrong, but I guess it was still a nice try.
    They said they found a solution to this now, so I'm going to check out the link they gave and then check back here.

19. Jan 9, 2010 #18
    Okay, I just reviewed the other solution, and I can't see anything wrong with it. Maybe you guys can?

[tex]ab = a^b \ \Rightarrow \ b = a^{b-1}[/tex]

[tex]a+b = ab \ \Rightarrow \ b = 1 + \frac{b}{a} \ \Rightarrow \ b - 1 = \frac{b}{a}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]b = a^{b-1} = a^{\frac{b}{a}}[/tex]

[tex]b = a^{\frac{b}{a}} \ \Rightarrow \ b^a = a^b[/tex]

[tex]a \cdot \log{b} = b \cdot \log{a}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\log{a}}{a} = \frac{\log{b}}{b}[/tex]

[tex]a = b[/tex]
    Is this correct here? Why not?

[tex]a+b = a^2 \ \Rightarrow \ 2a = a \cdot a \ \Rightarrow \ a = b = 2 \; \; \; Q.E.D.[/tex]

20. Jan 9, 2010 #19
    It's not. Because you believed too much in the guy who said it was strictly increasing. If you actually take a look at the graph, you'll see that a=b could mean a ton (infinite?) of possible (a,b) pairs.

21. Jan 9, 2010 #20

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Norway! :smile:

That requires that logx/x be single-valued.

Unfortunately, it has a maximum value of 1/e at x = e (2.718…),

so loga/a = logb/b does not imply a = b. :redface:

EDIT: uhh? are you two different people (or countries)? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook