Exploring Little Higgs Theory & the Simplest Higgs Model

In summary, the conversation is about a model called the Simplest Higgs, which extends the SU(2)xU(1) symmetry to SU(3)xU(1) and breaks it down using electroweak symmetry breaking. The authors of one paper discuss the features of this model, including the absence of mixing between W's and new gauge bosons due to their different quantum numbers. The question asks for further clarification on this point. The answer is that only particles with the same quantum numbers can mix, and since the new gauge bosons are neutral under U(1)_Y, they cannot mix with the charged W bosons.
whynothis
Hello all I have a fairly specific question that I am hoping someone can answer. I have been doing some reading on a model called the Simplest Higgs (arXiv:hep-ph/0407143), one class of the more general Little Higgs theories.

Basically the model adds new physics to the standard model by extending the SU(2)xU(1) symmetry to SU(3)xU(1) and breaking it back down to the standard model using electroweak symmetry breaking generated by two scalar triplet fields. (If anyone has some familiarity with this models and sees something wrong with my interpretation of it comments would be appreciated)

While reading another paper (arXiv:hep-ph/0506313)discussing this model the authors make the following statement:

"...the simple group models share two features that distinguish them from
the product group models. First, the simple group models all contain an SU(N)×U(1)
gauge symmetry that is broken down to SU(2)L×U(1)Y , yielding a set of TeV-scale gauge
bosons. The two gauge couplings of the SU(N)×U(1) are fixed in terms of the two SM
SU(2)L×U(1)Y gauge couplings, leaving no free parameters in the gauge sector once the
symmetry-breaking scale is fixed. This gauge structure also forbids mixing between the
SM W± bosons and the TeV-scale gauge bosons..."

I don't understand why there can't be any mixing between the W's and the new bosons. Does anyone have any further insight on this?

I know this is a pretty specific question, any help or direction pointing would be a huge help. Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
whynothis said:
I don't understand why there can't be any mixing between the W's and the new bosons. Does anyone have any further insight on this?

I think the answer is to look at the quantum numbers.

Only things that have the same quantum numbers can mix. Because the new gauge bosons must be neutral under the U(1)_Y (that is, they don't break that symmetry), they can't mix with things that ARE charged under U(1)_Y.

BenTheMan said:
I think the answer is to look at the quantum numbers.

Only things that have the same quantum numbers can mix. Because the new gauge bosons must be neutral under the U(1)_Y (that is, they don't break that symmetry), they can't mix with things that ARE charged under U(1)_Y.

Wonderful, thank you very much I will look into that.

1. What is the Little Higgs Theory?

The Little Higgs Theory is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a new mechanism for the origin of mass. It suggests that there are multiple Higgs bosons, rather than just one, which could explain why the Higgs boson is much lighter than expected.

2. What is the Simplest Higgs Model?

The Simplest Higgs Model is a specific version of the Little Higgs Theory that was proposed in 2003. It is based on a new type of symmetry called collective symmetry breaking, which allows for the existence of multiple Higgs bosons without the need for additional particles or interactions.

3. How does the Little Higgs Theory differ from the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is the currently accepted theory of particle physics, and it includes the Higgs mechanism to explain the origin of mass. However, the Little Higgs Theory proposes a different mechanism for the Higgs boson, which could potentially provide a more complete understanding of mass and its interactions with other particles.

4. What are the potential implications of the Little Higgs Theory?

If the Little Higgs Theory is confirmed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It could also help to explain some of the unresolved mysteries in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the origin of dark matter.

5. How is the Little Higgs Theory being tested?

Scientists are currently testing the predictions of the Little Higgs Theory through experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. They are also using theoretical calculations and simulations to explore the implications of this theory and compare them to experimental data.