Simplifying Factorial Expressions Using the Ratio Test

In summary, when simplifying expressions involving factorials, it is important to carefully consider the terms and their relationships in order to obtain the correct answer. This can involve breaking up terms and looking for common factors. It is also important to avoid canceling terms that are added and to be mindful of even and odd numbers.
roam

Homework Statement

I want to simplify the following (these are to do with the ratio test in series):

a) [tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(2n+1)}/\frac{n!}{2n-1}[/tex]

b) [tex]\frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} / \frac{2^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(2n+1)}/\frac{n!}{2n-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(2n+1)} \times \frac{(2n-1)}{n!}[/tex]

So, we divide up the factorial terms: [tex]\frac{n \times n+1}{n} = n+1[/tex]

and deviding the rest:

[tex]\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}=-1[/tex]

Therefore the whole thing should simplify to: -(n+1) But the book says it must be [tex]\frac{n+1}{2n+1}[/tex], what's wrong?

b) [tex]\frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} / \frac{2^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} \times \frac{2^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4n . 2}{4n . 1/2} = 4[/tex]

(2n-1)!/(2n+1)! = [tex]\frac{(2n)(2n-1)}{(2n)(2n+1)}[/tex]

So based on what I've done my answer has to be -4 but the real answer has to be:
4/(2n+1)(2n)

Can anyone please help me with this simplifications...

Physics news on Phys.org
N!=N(N-1)(N-2)(N-3)!

so what is (n+1)!=? (Replace N by n+1)

Note that

[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}=-1[/tex]

is not correct - you cannot cancel the pair of [tex] 2n [/tex] terms from this. You are
correct in saying that

[tex]
\frac{(n+1)!}{n!} = n+1
[/tex]

In your second problem, this first step is not correct. That is, you wrote

[tex]
\frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} \div \frac{2^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!} = \frac{2^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!} \times \frac{2^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)!}
[/tex]

and this is not correct.

statdad said:
Note that

[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}=-1[/tex]

is not correct - you cannot cancel the pair of [tex] 2n [/tex] terms from this.

Why? So, what do we have to do with it?

P.S. It was just a typo in my second problem... I figured it out anyway. :smile:

N!=N(N-1)(N-2)(N-3)!

so what is (n+1)!=? (Replace N by n+1)

I understood, thanks!

"Why? So, what do we have to do with it?"

I'm not sure exactly what you mean - if what you've typed is correct, you can't simplify

[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}
[/tex]

and get [tex] -1 [/tex].

If it's wrong then how do you simplify (2n-1)/(2n+1)?

Yes, what I've typed is correct:

[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(2n+1)}/\frac{n!}{2n-1}[/tex]

And the correct answer I should get is:

[tex]\frac{n+1}{2n+1}[/tex]

If I divide (n+1)!/n! = n+1 which goes on the numerator, what should I do with (2n-1)/(2n+1)?

If it's wrong then how do you simplify (2n-1)/(2n+1)?

There isn't much you can do - you can't cancel terms that are added, only common factors from a product. The only thing that comes to my mind now is this:

[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{2n+1} = \frac{(2n+1)-2}{2n+1} = 1 - \frac{2}{2n+1}
[/tex]

and that provides you with absolutely no help. This is why I'm confused - I don't know how you are to simplify the expression you are given and obtain your stated answer.

But again,

[tex]
\frac{2n-1}{2n+1} \ne -1
[/tex]

Think this way: if the left hand side truly did simplify to [tex] -1 [/tex], it would have
that value for every possible value of [tex] n [/tex] (because it's a constant). But, when
[tex] n = 10 [/tex], the left hand side is 19/21.

Perhaps there is a typographical error in your text.

Perhaps there is a typographical error in your text.

Are you sure it's an error??

here's the actual problem from my textbook:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/635/ddfy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, did you simplify this:
[tex]\frac{s_{n+1}}{s_{n}} = \frac{(n+1)!}{1 \times 3 \times 5 \times ... \times (2n+1)}/\frac{n!}{1 \times 3 \times 5 \times ... \times (2n-1)}[/tex]

to get what you wrote originally in part a), which was this:
[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{(2n+1)}/\frac{n!}{2n-1}[/tex]?

If so, that wasn't simplified correctly. First rewrite as a multiplication:
[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{1 \times 3 \times 5 \times ... \times (2n+1)} \times \frac{1 \times 3 \times 5 \times ... \times (2n-1)}{n!}[/tex]

1*3*5*...*(2n+1) is the same as 1*3*5*...*(2n-1)*(2n+1), so if you look at the denominator of the 1st fraction and the numerator of the 2nd fraction, everything cancels out except for the 2n+1:
[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{2n+1} \times \frac{1}{n!}[/tex]

You can figure out the rest. (I hope that I didn't give away too much.)01

yeongil said:
1*3*5*...*(2n+1) is the same as 1*3*5*...*(2n-1)*(2n+1)

Actually I think you meant that it is the same as 1*3*5*...*(2n-1)*(2n)*(2n+1) :biggrin:

That makes sense now, thank you.

EDIT:

I have another question (which is very similar to the one above):

[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{3\times5 \times7\times...(2n+3)} \times \frac{3\times5\times7\times... \times (2n+1)}{n!}[/tex]

Does it equal to:

[tex]\frac{n+1}{(2n+2)(2n+3)}[/tex]

Since 3*5*7*...*(2n+3) is the same as 3*5*7*...*(2n+1)*(2n+2)*(2n+3)

Is this right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
roam said:
Actually I think you meant that it is the same as 1*3*5*...*(2n-1)*(2n)*(2n+1) :biggrin:
Nope, I meant that 1*3*5*...*(2n+1) = 1*3*5*...*(2n-1)*(2n+1). We are multiplying a series of odd numbers here. 2n-1 is odd, 2n+1 is odd, but 2n is even.

[tex]\frac{(n+1)!}{3\times5 \times7\times...(2n+3)} \times \frac{3\times5\times7\times... \times (2n+1)}{n!}[/tex]

Does it equal to:

[tex]\frac{n+1}{(2n+2)(2n+3)}[/tex]

Since 3*5*7*...*(2n+3) is the same as 3*5*7*...*(2n+1)*(2n+2)*(2n+3)

Is this right? :rolleyes:
No. 3*5*7*...*(2n+3) = 3*5*7*...*(2n+1)*(2n+3). 2n+2 shouldn't be there -- it's also even.01

Oh! I didn't notice that. So it simplifies to n+1/2n+3. Thanks for your post, it was really helpful!

1. What is meant by "simplification difficulties"?

Simplification difficulties refer to the challenges that arise when trying to simplify complex concepts or ideas. It can also refer to the struggles individuals face when trying to understand or communicate information that is too complex for their current level of knowledge or understanding.

2. What causes simplification difficulties?

There are various factors that can contribute to simplification difficulties, such as the complexity of the subject matter, lack of prior knowledge or understanding, language barriers, and cognitive limitations. It can also be caused by the use of jargon, technical terms, or abstract concepts that are unfamiliar to the person trying to simplify the information.

3. How can simplification difficulties be overcome?

One way to overcome simplification difficulties is by breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable pieces. This can involve using analogies, visual aids, or simplifying language. It can also be helpful to consider the audience and their level of understanding when trying to simplify information. Seeking feedback and clarification from others can also aid in overcoming simplification difficulties.

4. Can simplification difficulties be beneficial?

Yes, simplification difficulties can be beneficial in some cases. It can help identify areas of confusion or gaps in knowledge, leading to a deeper understanding of the concept. It can also encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills as individuals try to simplify complex information in a way that is easy to understand.

5. How can simplification difficulties impact scientific research?

Simplification difficulties can have a significant impact on scientific research. It can lead to misinterpretation or miscommunication of findings, which can hinder progress in the field. It can also make it challenging to effectively communicate research to a broader audience, such as policymakers or the general public, which can limit the potential impact and relevance of the research.