1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simplification Trick

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given a differential equation that evolves as
    [tex] \frac{du}{dt} = F(u,t; y(t) ), \qquad u \in \mathbb R^n [/tex]
    and told that a vector valued function P(u,t,y) satisfies
    [tex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = - \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} F_i(u,t,y) P [/tex]

If it turns out that
    [tex] \frac{du_i}{dt} = \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y)u_j [/tex]
    this is supposed to simplify [itex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} [/itex] greatly.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't see how this simplifies at all. One possibility is that the question is poorly written and the summation term should actually be

[tex] - \sum_{i=1}^N \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} F_i(u,t,y) \right] P [/tex]
    In this case this is equivalent to the divergence of a linear vector field, and if we define A such that [itex] (A)_{ij} = A_{ij} [/itex] then indeed this does simplify to
    [tex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = - \text{Tr}[A] P [/tex]
    However, I have reason to believe that the equation is not wrongly written, in which case substituting our value for F into the differential equation for P doesn't drammatically simply the problem as suggested.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted