Simplified rocket lateral dynamics model sign convention

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model that uses vanes at the exit to generate lift force and control the rocket's orientation. Linear and angular momentum equations are used to describe the current orientation, but there is confusion about the sign convention for the lift force generated by the vanes. Ultimately, it is clarified that the equations are written using the right-hand rule and the lift force is correctly represented in the equations.
Johan M
TL;DR Summary
I would like to confirm if the sign convention for the forces present in a model is correct. It entails the linear and angular momentum for a simplified rocket model. The rocket has airfoil shaped flaps whose lift force can be used to adjust the rocket orientation
Hi everyone :smile: . I had came across a simplified simplified rocket lateral dynamics model :https://github.com/build-week/hover...n-scripts/design-scripts/jet_vane_speed.ipynb . It has vanes at the exit which generate lift force and can control the rocket orientation. In it, linear and angular momentum equations are present for the current orientation:
2d_model_diagram.png

Fj: engine thrust
Lv: lift force
Dv: drag force:
alpha: vane angle of attack
theta: pitch over angle of the rocket

The angular momentum:
[IMG alt="$$
L_v r_v = I \ddot{\theta}
$$"]https://render.githubusercontent.com/render/math?math=L_v r_v = I \ddot{\theta}&mode=display[/IMG]Linear momentum:
[IMG alt="$$
-(F_j - D_v) \sin\theta + L_v \cos\theta = m \ddot{x}
$$"]https://render.githubusercontent.co..._v \cos\theta = m \ddot{x}&mode=display[/IMG]

I don't seem to understand the sign convention for the lift force generated by the vanes in these equations: at the current angle of attack, the lift force Lv would be in a south-west direction. In the equations, it seems the author took it in the north-east direction. In other words, should the equations instead read as:

-[IMG alt="$$
L_v r_v = I \ddot{\theta}
$$"]https://render.githubusercontent.com/render/math?math=L_v r_v = I \ddot{\theta}&mode=display[/IMG]
-(F_j-D_v)sin(theta)-L_vcos(theta)=m*xdottDoes anyone happen to know why he did otherwise? Any advice is appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
.The lift force generated by the vanes is acting in the direction of the rocket's motion, not against it, so the sign convention is correct as it is. The equations are written using the right-hand rule, which means that the lift force is acting in the positive direction. So if the vane angle of attack (alpha) is positive, then the lift force Lv will be in the north-east direction.

1. What is a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model?

A simplified rocket lateral dynamics model is a mathematical representation of the motion and behavior of a rocket as it moves through the air in a horizontal direction. It takes into account factors such as thrust, aerodynamics, and gravity to predict the rocket's trajectory.

2. Why is a simplified model used for rocket lateral dynamics?

A simplified model is used for rocket lateral dynamics because it allows for easier analysis and understanding of the rocket's behavior. It also helps to identify key factors that affect the rocket's flight, and can be used to make design decisions for more complex models.

3. What is the sign convention used in a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model?

The sign convention used in a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model is based on the Cartesian coordinate system, with the positive x-axis pointing in the direction of the rocket's flight, the positive y-axis pointing upwards, and the positive z-axis pointing towards the ground.

4. How does thrust affect the simplified rocket lateral dynamics model?

Thrust is a key factor in the simplified rocket lateral dynamics model, as it is the force that propels the rocket forward. The direction of thrust is typically aligned with the positive x-axis, and its magnitude is dependent on the rocket's engine and propellant.

5. What are some limitations of a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model?

Some limitations of a simplified rocket lateral dynamics model include not accounting for factors such as wind, turbulence, and air resistance. It also does not take into account the changing mass of the rocket as it expends fuel, which can affect its trajectory. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the complex aerodynamics of the rocket's shape and design.