Simplifying Fractions: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a rational expression and includes attempts at factoring and hints for finding the solution. The final simplified expression is \frac{a-2b}{2a(a+5b)}.
Amaz1ng

Homework Statement

Simplify:
[tex]\frac{3a(a^2-4ab+4b^2)}{6a^2(a^2+3ab-10b^2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried factoring stuff out, etc. This "teach yourself albebra" book is getting more and more annoying. Even mathway.com can't solve them (which is what I used to see steps).

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaz1ng said:

Homework Statement

Simplify:
[tex]\frac{3a(a^2-4ab+4b^2)}{6a^2(a^2+3ab-10b^2)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried factoring stuff out, etc. This "teach yourself albebra" book is getting more and more annoying. Even mathway.com can't solve them (which is what I used to see steps).
Show us what you tried. This rational expression can be simplified a lot. Both quadratics can be factored to produce some cancellation, and the 3a and 6a2 factors can be factored as well.

Here's a little something to look at: 4b2 can be written as: (2b)2 ...

I think this has reverse foil written all over it.

:wink:

I tried several things the other day and got from one attempt:

[tex]

\frac{b^3}{6a^3}

[/tex]

Amaz1ng said:
I tried several things the other day and got from one attempt:

[tex]

\frac{b^3}{6a^3}

[/tex]

That's way off. You need to show us your steps as well. Let's first start by looking at the factor [tex]a^2-4ab+4b^2[/tex]
Can you factorize this using Omega_Prime's hint?

[tex]
(a-2b)(a-2b)
[/tex]

o_O

This is not homework either. I'm going for comp science soon...if I go in unable to do this stuff I'm going to be screwed.

So feel free to post the steps if you have an answer so I can get a bit better understanding. ;o

What do I do about the bottom?

Amaz1ng said:
[tex]
(a-2b)(a-2b)
[/tex]

o_O
Ok good! Now can you factorize the bottom too? Think about back when you were factorizing quadratics such as x2+5x+6=(x+3)(x+2), but this time we simply have extra terms in there, so x2+5xy+6y2 would be (x+3y)(x+2y).

Amaz1ng said:
This is not homework either. I'm going for comp science soon...if I go in unable to do this stuff I'm going to be screwed.

So feel free to post the steps if you have an answer so I can get a bit better understanding. ;o

What do I do about the bottom?

Whatever the reason, you still have to abide by the homework rules :tongue:

[tex]

\frac{a-2b}{2a(a+5b)}
[/tex]I'm speshal! :shy:

Amaz1ng said:
[tex]

\frac{a-2b}{2a(a+5b)}
[/tex]

I'm speshal! :shy:

Yep :wink:

1. What is the process for simplifying fractions?

The process for simplifying fractions involves finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator, dividing both by the GCF, and then writing the resulting fraction in its simplest form.

2. Why is it important to simplify fractions?

Simplifying fractions makes them easier to work with and compare, especially when performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. How do you know when a fraction is fully simplified?

A fraction is fully simplified when the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1.

4. Can you simplify any fraction?

Yes, any fraction can be simplified as long as the numerator and denominator are both integers.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying fractions?

Yes, there are some strategies for quickly identifying the GCF and simplifying fractions, such as finding common factors or using prime factorization. However, it is important to understand the underlying concept of simplifying fractions in order to use these shortcuts effectively.